...do I want a 2020 Rogue? (Deceased leasee)

Do you need it?

~$6000 to rent the car for 2 years is for you to decide

Unless the vehicle is used for business, I wouldnt bother

If you want to burn $6k, I am sure plenty of the menbers here would prefer you send them a check.
Hell, I'd only ask $5k, just so he didn't have to get a Nissan.

The doc fee is actually irrelevant - they could call it the Purple People Eater Fee and it wouldn’t change the nature of what it is - part of the dealer’s profit.

One dealer could have a $999 doc fee and another dealer may charge $399, and the one with the higher published doc fee may end up selling the vehicle cheaper.

When shopping dealer’s asking prices, I ignored whatever they claimed their doc fee was, and, instead, focused on the bottom line.

I treated the process like a bid, emailing every dealership I could find that had the vehicle we were looking for, in stock, and created a spreadsheet to keep track of everything (this wasn’t my idea; I actually borrowed the idea from someone on T4R.org).

Local dealerships weren’t willing to come down much - couple thousand, maybe. But there were a couple of dealerships in the DFW area who did, so I booked a cheap flight, flew down with a check from my credit union, and drove it back.

But, yeah, you’re right - it’s all about supply & demand. You have to find the dealer that wants to sell it the worst! The ones around here weren’t willing to deal, so I found one that was.

Also didn’t hurt anything, I’m sure, that I bought at the end of December during the Toyotathon event. Also, I don’t think many people are looking for what we wanted (2WD, base model with no options except 3rd row seat).
Wait, you bought a base model 2wd Toyota 4Runner? 🤨

If it met their needs/wants, what's wrong with that?
Nothing. Literally have never heard of anyone buying a 2wd 4Runner in my almost 37 years on this planet so you can imagine my shock that someone would buy a vehicle like a 4Runner and only get it in 2wd.

Obviously I said in my post that I did.

So did you have a point in asking the question?
Shock, mostly. Can I ask why? Considering the purpose of a 4Runner but then only getting it in 2wd? Why not something with way better gas mileage and ride but similar size?

Like I said in the above post, I've literally never heard of anyone buying a 2wd 4Runner. To that end, I did not even know they made them 2wd. Learn something new everyday.

If I lived in the great state of Tennessee instead of here in the frozen north I would defnitely consider a 2WD 4Runner. Toyota also made a 2WD FJ Cruiser. Can say that as the owner of a 4WD Tundra TRD.

Shock, mostly. Can I ask why? Considering the purpose of a 4Runner but then only getting it in 2wd? Why not something with way better gas mileage and ride but similar size?

Like I said in the above post, I've literally never heard of anyone buying a 2wd 4Runner. To that end, I did not even know they made them 2wd. Learn something new everyday.
I guess it’s understandable. :)

See my post in the thread I started about the 4Runner and why we chose this particular model, if you’re interested. I explained it pretty thoroughly there, LOL:

I guess it’s understandable. :)

See my post in the thread I started about the 4Runner and why we chose this particular model, if you’re interested. I explained it pretty thoroughly there, LOL:

Fair enough. :)

Man If I never need 4WD I would never buy 4WD.
Need it up here to get through the 5 months of "Winter"
RWD is ALWAYS the way to go.
but with Posi of course ....
This 4Runner has a system that mimics an LSD.

When one of the rear wheels starts to spin, it brakes that wheel, causing power to be sent to the other wheel.

Im not sure how well this works compares to a true LSD that uses a mechanical or viscous coupling.

For all I know, the ultimate functionality may be identical.

It would be cool to do a comparison.

This 4Runner has a system that mimics an LSD.

When one of the rear wheels starts to spin, it brakes that wheel, causing power to be sent to the other wheel.

Im not sure how well this works compares to a true LSD that uses a mechanical or viscous coupling.

For all I know, the ultimate functionality may be identical.

It would be cool to do a comparison.
My 1993 Lincoln mark Viii had that. The Ford implementation was not good on that car.
Now on my last 2WD Ranger - a 2011- the Traction Control (ASC/ASR) was insanely well programmed.

You could dive into a 90 degree corner, throttle down, with reckless abandon, and it would steer you through. Amazing.

Now its hard to impossible to beat a good Posi diff with traction control - but on a truck, posi can be dangerous causing fishtailing when it's provoked to lock around corners. But you have more mass out back in the 2runner SUV, so less of an issue with the Wife's car.

...of course some of use liked fishtailing when we were young teenage hotrodders :)

My 1993 Lincoln mark Viii had that. The Ford implementation was not good on that car.
Now on my last 2WD Ranger - a 2011- the Traction Control (ASC/ASR) was insanely well programmed.

You could dive into a 90 degree corner, throttle down, with reckless abandon, and it would steer you through. Amazing.

Now its hard to impossible to beat a good Posi diff with traction control - but on a truck, posi can be dangerous causing fishtailing when it's provoked to lock around corners. But you have more mass out back in the 2runner SUV, so less of an issue with the Wife's car.

...of course some of use liked fishtailing when we were young teenage hotrodders :)
2Runner, LOL!

Love that!!

As far as I know all new car leases today require the equivalent of credit life.that allows.the estate.to simply.turn in the vehicle on death of original leasee.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, credit life insurance is voluntary and it is against federal law to require credit life insurance, or deny the loan if you refuse to by credit life insurance.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, credit life insurance is voluntary and it is against federal law to require credit life insurance, or deny the loan if you refuse to by credit life insurance.

Problem is a Lease isn't a Loan and also not a purchase. It's not.really Credit Life. It's more like GAP Insurance that pays off the Lease if someone dies. That said that's my understanding and I may be mistaken.

Leasing is car rental for the financially idiotic. It's the most-expensive way possible to drive a car. Never lease unless you can write off the payments for a business.
The original leasee was 86. It probably made perfect sense in his case. Probably on retirement money, like a pension or social security. If you know what your monthly expenses are and aren't planning for the future, then there's no reason not to do a lease. I know someone else who isn't as old and for the last several years he leases a new car every 3 years. He was in tech and had a good pension. House was paid off and what else is he going to do with his money in retirement? I think originally he had a Lincoln, then an Audi, then a Genesis. I'm not a fan of those cars. I should try and talk him into a Mercedes the next time I see him.

My uncle's father is riding his Goldwing. He celebrated 80 with an Iron Butt ride. Celebrated 83 with a 50cc. (Hilton Head to LA in 50 hours.) Celebrated 85 with a 8-ride. (49 states in 10 days.) Far as I know, he drives a 2009-ish F-150.

Back