...do I want a 2020 Rogue? (Deceased leasee)

Long story short, my father lost a dear friend at the god bless him age of 86

Last year, he leased a '20 Rogue SV AWD

It has minimal options, I ran the VIN to create a Monroney label, sticker was $29,790

It's up to payment 12 of 36 on it's lease, odometer reading as of this morning is below 2,000

His widow is moving into an assisted living facility, his son doesn't want it, and has many vehicles

How he will absolve himself of his deceased father's lease, I'm not sure

Can anyone explain how NMAC handles leasees who don't survive the whole term?

It's currently being discussed what to do with it

What if it was offered to me/my family?

I've got good W2 income and 770 credit, I don't think Nissan would turn me down :(

How to lease takeovers work?

And do I want this thing for $239 a month for the next ~2 years?

I know it's an uninspiring drive, and the CVTs suck, but it'd be something new to knock around in, need little to no maintenance, and could put miles on without fear

And then it goes back at the end

Any advice or experience would be appreciated

Thank you.

Last edited:
You would have to check the lease paperwork. Typically you can't get out of the lease. Not sure if Nissan is still allowing lease swaps on places like swapalease, Mercedes stopped due to Covid. Due to low miles you probably won't have to offer much incentive for someone to take it. Usually there's just a fee from the manufacturer to swap the name of the owner once they determine that the new owner qualifies.

As Greasy said, do you need it? If you do and it serves your purpose, then take it. Nissans can be ok for up to 60k miles or so. If you don't need it, then don't take it. If something goes wrong, it's their car and they'll need to fix it.

I think if someone gave me a Rogue, I'd try to sell it.

Even if you wanted a Rogue, I don't see how taking over this lease would be better for you than just waking into Nissan and leasing a brand new one.
Brand new lease will have thousands in additional fees. Down Payment, Acquisition Fee, Cap Reduction Fee, Disposition Fee, Cleaning Fee, etc. Figure spending $3-4K right off the bat.

If you can get into the lease for nothing down and only pay the monthly lease payments, that wouldn't be terrible. $239 a month doesn't touch depreciation or repair on an older vehicle. I think these cheap Nissan leases are the only ones worth doing.

Reactions: JTK
I'd let the executor of the will take care of it and not get involved but thats just me.

If the man was leasing a 2020 car, and is going into an assisted living facility ($$$), they most likely aren't destitute and can take care of squaring up with the lease company.

I know that when I leased a 2014 Rav 4 years ago, toyota offers a buy out at any time, you can purchase the car outright.

There was a company called Beepi that has gone bankrupt since, but they gave me $1500 over the "buyout" price, so I was able to terminate my lease immediately and sell the car to them, and walk away with some cash.

That was how I got rid of my lease, his agreement will vary.

Long story short, my father lost a dear friend at the god bless him age of 86

Last year, he leased a '20 Rogue SV AWD

It has minimal options, I ran the VIN to create a Monroney label, sticker was $29,790

It's up to payment 12 of 36 on it's lease, odometer reading as of this morning is below 2,000

His widow is moving into an assisted living facility, his son doesn't want it, and has many vehicles

How he will absolve himself of his deceased father's lease, I'm not sure

Can anyone explain how NMAC handles leasees who don't survive the whole term?

It's currently being discussed what to do with it

What if it was offered to me/my family?

I've got good W2 income and 770 credit, I don't think Nissan would turn me down :(

How to lease takeovers work?

And do I want this thing for $239 a month for the next ~2 years?

I know it's an uninspiring drive, and the CVTs suck, but it'd be something new to knock around in, need little to no maintenance, and could put miles on without fear

And then it goes back at the end

Any advice or experience would be appreciated

Thank you.
If you need or want a car, that's cheap money to get into a nice "new" car and the Rogues are nice.
A typical new car loan for a compact suv would be around $500.00/ month. So this cost is comparable to a Base Mitsubishi Mirage junkbox for a new car loan money - about the cheapest thing you could buy.

My concern is that "Knocking around" doesn't sound like a NEED for a car plus you are in NYC. Where would yo garage it and at what cost?

Since it is a friend and NOT your family - I would PASS, but I would continue to market it to friends and family who may be looking for a car.

And CVT do not suck. That's Old myth. Mouthed and internet perpetuated by people from who haven't OWNED one.
The wife's Subaru CVT is awesome.

My Cable bill is 257.88 a month !

I know someone that had to handle an estate of a deceased person who had a Ford F-150 lease. Nobody wanted the vehicle so they were able to just return it to the dealer and it cost them nothing. Maybe it would have been different had there been a surviving spouse.

Brand new lease will have thousands in additional fees. Down Payment, Acquisition Fee, Cap Reduction Fee, Disposition Fee, Cleaning Fee, etc. Figure spending $3-4K right off the bat.
Spending money up front on a lease is idiotic.

That $3-4k should come off the MSRP for $0 out of pocket. Otherwise, no deal.

You know you're not the only person here with car biz experience, right?

Spending money up front on a lease is idiotic.

That $3-4k should come off the MSRP for $0 out of pocket. Otherwise, no deal.

You know you're not the only person here with car biz experience, right?
No experience with leasing but do know if you want to lease a $30,000 new Rouge for 3 years and $239 a month, or $8,600 in total payments, and it's only worth $15,000 when the lease ends, it's not going to happen without putting a lot of money down.

Back