Do I really need to change the oil filter?

Agreed. I guess I was speaking more to the folks saying they go multiple oil changes with same filter. That just goes against all mechanical instincts I have.
I get it. I also used to think using an extractor was a stupid, whossy way of changing oil. Today I MityVac out oil every 5K on my cars and friend's cars. The filters are rated for 15K or 20K. If the oil is fresh every 5K, that filter is fine. I don't get dirty; I don't lift or crawl under ther car; there is no need to put off the service. Of course when filter time comes around I go old skool.

I have one car that just sits all summer long and goes maybe 1000 miles between April and November. I change the oil just before winter just because I know oil becomes corrosive over time. It is a 2004 Acura RSX with 100k miles and I use PUP 5w30.

Question: Do I really need to put in a new oil filter when I change the oil based on time interval? I mean, its not clogged or anything. Its a real PITA to get to and it increases the cost of the oil change by 50%.
In this situation I would us a premium filter and change it every 5 years. Probably use super tech synthetic oil and change it every second year.

The OEM filter cartridges for the BMW were very high quality. When I drove it high miles I used to change the oil at half the interval recommended by the oil monitor but change the filter at the full interval recommended for oil changes by the oil monitor (which is about 25,000 Km/15,000 miles). I figured if the filter was good enough for the full interval, why change it half way. Those oil filters came out in beautiful condition after the full interval.

So when I stopped driving it very much I still felt confident about leaving it for the full mileage interval, and that was now 3 or 4 low mileage but long time interval oil changes (yes I know, the horror) and they still came out in beautiful condition.

So I'm now faced with the same problem with the Accord. I drove it only 1,500 km (940 miles) last year. I have always changed the filter every second change (as recommended by Honda). And with these low miles I'll probably change the oil every other year. So the filters will be going at least 4 years (and I might even go 6 years).

In my experience oil filters don't deteriorate as a result of time in use.

... It is such cheap insurance and there is no definitive way to know how much life is left in your filter.
Seems like an unnecessary gamble to me.
With a cartridge, you can take it out and look at the media surface. That won't exactly show you how badly restricted it is by small particles, but will at least let you know whether it's torn, and whether there are particles large enough to see.

I have one car that just sits all summer long and goes maybe 1000 miles between April and November. I change the oil just before winter just because I know oil becomes corrosive over time. It is a 2004 Acura RSX with 100k miles and I use PUP 5w30.

Question: Do I really need to put in a new oil filter when I change the oil based on time interval? I mean, its not clogged or anything. Its a real PITA to get to and it increases the cost of the oil change by 50%.
I don’t change my filters every oil change.

Last edited:
A cellulose/blend filter really should be changed yearly (at minimum), a FULL synthetic media filter (which does NOT include the new "Ultra") can go as long as you want without the media falling apart (although the can may rust, and the media could get blinded off/plugged).

Honda OEM says its fine to change it every other oil change. Since I change my oil more often than whats recommended by manual, I dont bother changing oil filter every other time.

Doesn’t Acura require every other oil change to change the filter like Honda? My wife’s Pilot does but I change it every time.

Do you like changing oil? Is it a hobby for you? If so change the oil and go on with it. 1000 miles on the filter, no problem, leave it till next time. I sometimes leave the filter in place on the Toyota we own.
If you don't like changing oil, go two years on an oil and filter change. (that would be 2000 miles according to you) I think it would be fine based on the usage and if there are no issues with the car.

Just go with a super premium filter like the Purolator Boss, so it has the synthetic media. I would only worry about the lesser stuff breaking down over a long time if you decide to go a few years. We don’t change fuel filters every 5,000 miles or every year. In fact, I think my 2009 Mazda 5 with 140K may be on the factory filter.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not sure where you live, but I like to change the oil in the spring even if it sets all summer. I would change the filter every spring also. I never leave a filter on longer than what the manufactor recommends for miles, but will leave one one for a full year. I like to get a new oil filter and fresh oil in an engine after the freezing weather is over. New oil can sit in the oil pan above freezing without any ill effect on the oil. IMO

Back