Do I really need to change the oil filter?

I have one car that just sits all summer long and goes maybe 1000 miles between April and November. I change the oil just before winter just because I know oil becomes corrosive over time. It is a 2004 Acura RSX with 100k miles and I use PUP 5w30.

Question: Do I really need to put in a new oil filter when I change the oil based on time interval? I mean, its not clogged or anything. Its a real PITA to get to and it increases the cost of the oil change by 50%.

That's not even an appreciable time or mileage interval to be worried about it lol. AND it was driven about 1000 miles during that sitting interval.

I've ran the FU7317 or TG7317 multiple times. When the dealer changes it they always let me look at my GReddy drain plug and it's usually spotless. I do siphon out oft and now knowing how clean my engine is; I don't worry as Honda MM doesn't even say to change everytime. Keeping clean oil in and fuel and old oil out is doing fine. The best oil filter is the best air filter.

I have one car that just sits all summer long and goes maybe 1000 miles between April and November. I change the oil just before winter just because I know oil becomes corrosive over time. It is a 2004 Acura RSX with 100k miles and I use PUP 5w30.

Question: Do I really need to put in a new oil filter when I change the oil based on time interval? I mean, its not clogged or anything. Its a real PITA to get to and it increases the cost of the oil change by 50%.

Can you elaborate on how oil becomes corrosive over time? New to me so I'd like to hear about that.

To answer your question, no you do not need to change it based on time interval. It's not clear, are you saying the car is driven 1000 miles per year? I've seen enough UOAs of filters being used for multiple oil changes and still having low insoluables that I've changed my tune. I use Fram Ultras and change them every other oil change now. They should be good for 20k miles, I still change them 10k miles or less going every other OC.

Time intervals in manufacturer suggested OCI are due to unknowns in driving habits. Oil does not get “more corrosive” over time if the vehicle is not being operated. Acid byproducts are created from mixed sulfur oxides from combustion when mixed with water. If no combustion then no acids.

Even so it doesn’t get more acidic unless the TBN has reached zero.

I do. Some don't.

underwear.jpg

I guess...why wouldn't a person change the filter? It is such cheap insurance and there is no definitive way to know how much life is left in your filter.

Seems like an unnecessary gamble to me.

It seems pretty reasonable to expect there’s more than 1000 miles of capacity in almost any filter.
Agreed. I guess I was speaking more to the folks saying they go multiple oil changes with same filter. That just goes against all mechanical instincts I have.

Back