Do I need to use RTV on valve cover gasket?

JC1

Do I need to add RTV to a valve cover gasket (at the corners near the curves? Didn't get conclusive evidence elsewhere.

Vehicle is a 1997 civic, going to do the valve adjustment, spark plug replacement at the same time this weekend.

I used a dap in the same places where the factory put a dap.

If you've never done a valve cover gasket before, a few tips:
-Don't forget the spark plug tube seals. They rarely leak but most gasket sets come with them. Might as well while you're in there.
-Clean the surface of the head where the gasket will sit extremely well before doing anything else. Don't leave any oil residue or anything on it if you can help it. You want a clean, dry surface. Little brake clean on a clean rag/paper towel for a final wipe, maybe. A razor blade comes in handy for getting old RTV off. Don't leave any of the old RTV behind.
-Anywhere the factory had RTV, put RTV. You can almost always tell.
-Sometimes you need to put a little RTV (like, a very thin skim) on the valve cover side of the gasket to help hold it in place when you go to reinstall it. You can just put a tiny amount on a few spots and let it set up for a bit. Nothing like flipping the valve cover over and having the gasket fall out.
-The bolts take very little torque. I use a small 1/4" ratchet and aim for "snug".

Do I need to add RTV to a valve cover gasket (at the corners near the curves? Didn't get conclusive evidence elsewhere.

Vehicle is a 1997 civic, going to do the valve adjustment, spark plug replacement at the same time this weekend.

Use RTV only in the corners where it says corners of the recess. Torque the bolts in 2-3 steps to a final torque of 86 inch pounds, just snug will do, use a 1/4 drive ratchet and turn it with your palm.

2020-10-08_18-28-39.png

Reactions: JC1
Back