Do I need to clean with Kreen, MMO, ARX+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'm not leaky but, I see you're from NY. Pep Boys has a coupon that was taken down from their site. Its on the board in this thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD
you can print it, and use it, they are still accepting it. Not bad for any flavor Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter. You might want to check it out.

THANKS! I printed the Mobil coupon (as well as the pure one BOGO) and went to Pepboys.

Now I have a question or two. The coupon covers Reg, EP, ESP, HM. Recommendations on here included going to M1 HM. The HM at Pepboys does not come in 5W-20 that my Sonata calls for. It says 5W30 can be used but for mileage 5W20 recommended. I picked up the 5qts 5W30 HM as I can use it in the Sequoia anyway.

What is M1 ESP? I searched threads but couldn't find much. Bottle says better for sensors or something like that. It's $3 more per quart (with out coupon) But I think I saw it 5W20.

I'll get pics up tonight. A little more info. The Sonata 2.4L is my work vehicle. It daily sees a 25 mile trip to work and then back mostly highway. The Sequoia 4.7L gets a lot of short trip (about 2 miles to wifes job) but I do use it at least once/month for longer intervals. It's also the winter trip vehicle skiing and scouts all year so does get at least 1/2 hour run times once per month.

Have you considered their AFE line, in either 0W20 or 0W30? Food for thought.

As far as your pictures go from what I can see your engine doesn't need any cleaning. If and only if you feel like adding something to clean because of impulse, run a pint of MMO for the last 1,000-1,500 miles of a winter OCI. Honestly though, from the looks of things, unless you're burning oil, I wouldn't do anything other than oil and filter changes.

As far as your pictures go from what I can see your engine doesn't need any cleaning. If and only if you feel like adding something to clean because of impulse, run a pint of MMO for the last 1,000-1,500 miles of a winter OCI. Honestly though, from the looks of things, unless you're burning oil, I wouldn't do anything other than oil and filter changes.

What's the AFE line? I was at Walmart this AM and they said they don't stock PU anymore by me. If I found some what would be better, the M1 HM or PU for keeping clean purposes? Walmart did have M1 HM in 5w-20 for $24.97. I saw QSUD for $20.97.

Too many choices!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon

What's the AFE line? I was at Walmart this AM and they said they don't stock PU anymore by me. If I found some what would be better, the M1 HM or PU for keeping clean purposes? Walmart did have M1 HM in 5w-20 for $24.97. I saw QSUD for $20.97.

Too many choices!

OK got the AFE (advanced fuel economy). Would the 0W versions be ok in both as opposed to the 5W versions? Sonata is 20, Sequoia 30. How much change over those listed currently. Right now I'm sitting probably 2-3 years between the cars in filters and oil mostly PP but now some M1 HM. The Sequoia messes me up some as it's 6.5 qts

I think last round going into winter I used some PP 0W-20 in both.

I also have 4 qts of what is probably MOBENZOIL 1 Ultranum 4W-25. 1/2 qts tend to get combined in 5 qt jug.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Donald
Run the Auto-Rx Plus maint. program.

That comes out to about 9 bucks every OCI using 4 oz. Putting $9 into a higher quality oil will produce worlds better results.

From PYB to PU is about $9. Honestly which would you rather have PYB with 4oz of some additive regardless of what it is or who made it or PU for the same money?

PU with the Auto-Rx Plus maint. program.

Wow $9 extra, each OCI for a maint dose. I doubt you'd need it with PP, PU, or Mobil 1, especially if you already have a clean engine. If your engine needs cleaning, clean it, then take that $9/OCI and bank it if you're using a good synthetic. You'll keep your engine clean and save a lot of $$ in the process. Then every once in a while toss in a pint of MMO for the last 1,000-1,500 miles of an OCI, if you feel the need. Do that only if you see or think it needs a little maintenance clean up.

Originally Posted By: Donald
PU with the Auto-Rx Plus maint. program.

Lets say we take 2 vehicles, both vehicles are bought new, and at 3000 miles both vehicles run 5000 mile OCI's with PU, Vehicle #1 just gets PU, and vehicle #2 gets a Maintenance Dose of Auto-Rx Plus. Both vehicles get driven 300,000 miles.

Since Vehicle #2 is gonna be spending about $540.00 or so in purchasing arx, then where is the cost benefit, what is 4 ounces of arx plus doing each OCI that is not being done in Vehicle #1

Is there any kind of data that shows it is beneficial in running a Maintenance Dose of arx.

I don't think the promoters of Auto-RX have that maintenance data because if they did they sure would want for it to be posted here. Judging from what we have found out so far a person would be far wiser just using a good motor oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum after the first 3000 miles (new vehicle) and then you would not run into the need for a cleaning product in the first place.

Of course some people buy used vehicles. Try to make sure as much as possible that the vehicle is in good running condition and use high quality motor oil. You will be miles ahead. And if the engine is not too dirty a motor oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum might be able to get the engine reasonably clean.

If you're "concerned" best bet is gonna be the MMO.....go with a pint, and just use it as a top off oil towards the middle/end of your OCI......MMO "recommends" 3k......but no more than that....I run 5-6k OCIs.....so I typically add the top off about the middle of my OCI, and it comes out great......no I don't have any valve cover or fill hole pix.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back