Do I need moly in my Maxima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Maxima VQ35DE has molybdenum coated pistons from the factory. What would be the benefits/risks of putting in a oil heavy with Moly? Currently running M1 or Amsoil.

The moly is useful for "plating" other areas especially bearings (crank & rod in particular). This helps control scuffing wear when the dynamic oil film fails. It seems alot more oils are adding in some moly these days. I don't think thats a bad thing and can't imagine any drawbacks or risks.

BTW, I've got an 03 Max also, gotta love that VQ
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by totttalled:
My 2003 Maxima VQ35DE has molybdenum coated pistons from the factory. What would be the benefits/risks of putting in a oil heavy with Moly? Currently running M1 or Amsoil.

I have the VQ30DE. Stick with the Amsoil ASL 5w-30. I have used it for 2 years with no oil consumption at all. With the Mobil 1, I would consider the SS 10w-30 since it is their most shear stable viscosity.

I am not sure of the benefits of moly, i.e. Redline (cost) unless you decide to go with forced induction (excess heat).

Check out the maxima dot org spreadsheet for multiple maxima used oil analysis.

I use Mobil1 5W30 in my new Pathfinder with same engine. Will be doing a UOA here in the next few weeks.

I think moly is a good FM/antioxidant/AW additive. How much? Depends on the formulation.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I use Mobil1 5W30 in my new Pathfinder with same engine.

Congrats on joining the VQ family. Others on Maxima.org have had good UOAs with the M1. I'm just finishing up an interval with the Chevron Supreme and will offer that UOA soon. It may be moot though, as the car only has about 7K on it.
offtopic.gif

I think Nissan is going line-up wide with this engine. Next year its supposed to be available in the Xterra and Frontier. Everything else but the Sentra has it. When they drop one in the B15/16, I'll be the first one in line
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:

I think Nissan is going line-up wide with this engine. Next year its supposed to be available in the Xterra and Frontier.

Man, their gonna put it in the Frontier? Doesn't that engine make a boat-load of power??

If you can get that engine in the Frontier with a 5spd, I'd be sold.

Mine may be moot as well since the UOA will have about 4k+ miles on it but wanted to change it out using the Severe Drain Schedule for at least half of the warranty. Anyway, will be interesting to see how much crud is left.

The power and torque of this engine is very reminiscent of the older 327 Chevy V8's.

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
Originally posted by MolaKule:
[qb] When they drop one in the B15/16, I'll be the first one in line
grin.gif
Shortyb Can you imagine the boy's and girls on the b15 board
lol.gif
They would be traiding in their Specs tomorrow.

And you -my friend would be second in line behind me
lol.gif
Never happen though
frown.gif

offtopic.gif

[ October 24, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by totttalled:

I could only imagine that it would not be any issue to worry about. With High moly you 1. get better MPG and 2. an extra bumper of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back