Do I need LV Dot 4 for Vehicle With DSC?

Why can't I just use regular DOT 4 in a BMW? I would just buy the gallon of the BMW Brake fluid, but I don't need a whole gallon.

I believe Toyota still calls for a DOT 3/4.

Why can't I just use regular DOT 4 in a BMW? I would just buy the gallon of the BMW Brake fluid, but I don't need a whole gallon.

I believe Toyota still calls for a DOT 3/4.
I'll throw in the obligatory if you can afford a BMW you can afford the BMW brake fluid comment ;)

Since you dont list a car its hard to answer your question with anything resembling specific answer.

quoted incase the post is edited. so my reply makes sense.

Who cares if Toyota still calls for DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

I would use what it calls for instead of wanting to hear the answer that says, "I don't see why not unless you live where it's really cold in the winter".

The auto makers, including Ford in their F150 for a few years now, have specified DOT 4 LV for a reason.

It seems there are some members here that ask questions wanting to use the wrong fluid and want blessings from favored members stating it's okay to use it.

Do you really want the thicker fluid in an ABS control module/pump when it's cold out if it works overtime while dealing with traction control and/or the brake system? Using the wrong fluid can stress the pump and kill it.

What vehicle do you have again?
2011 BMW 328xi and 2013 BMW x3 28i. It’s not that I’m too cheap to buy the BMW brand fluid, but if I can get something just as good locally, then I’m all in. Both cars are due for brake fluid flush.

2011 BMW 328xi and 2013 BMW x3 28i. It’s not that I’m too cheap to buy the BMW brand fluid, but if I can get something just as good locally, then I’m all in. Both cars are due for brake fluid flush.
Yeah but you don't need the brand, you need the specification. Nothing wrong with BMW branded fluid but you're going to pay more for the label.

I'll throw in the obligatory if you can afford a BMW you can afford the BMW brake fluid comment ;)

Since you dont list a car its hard to answer your question with anything resembling specific answer.

quoted incase the post is edited. so my reply makes sense.
I know what you mean. The DOT 4 LV isn’t too pricey, but I have to order online. Some BMW fluids are crazy expensive (100 dollars a liter)!

I know what you mean. The DOT 4 LV isn’t too pricey, but I have to order online. Some BMW fluids are crazy expensive (100 dollars a liter)!
I'm seeing motorcraft and pentosin available at o'riellys(around 32/liter)
but if you have time I'd order from FCP euro.
half liter for 6.69 or liter for $12.69

even with shipping thats a win.

All BMWs use LV DOT 4. Main reason it allows the DSC (ABS/stability control/traction control) to work faster, and therefor better in colder temps. Right when you need all those systems the most. Dealer sells it in 1L (sometimes 500ml) bottles. I believe it is repackaged Pentosin fluid.

Back