Do I need high mileage oil with 83k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have similar concern and I emailed Mobil1oil customer service a few days ago.
Here is the reply:
Yes, you can cause damage to the seals on a new vehicle if you use a high mileage oil. I would strongly suggest that you use a regular synthetic oil in its place.
I was asking about a 40000 miles car. So I think you dont need high-mileage oil unless you have serious engine problems. Maybe the amount of seal chemicals can cause considerable impacts.

Last edited:
If that is what they told you then it is in direct conflict with what they say on their website. It is also contradictory to what every other manufacturer says on their websites as well.

He's either full of it or you misinterpreted what they said. Can you please post the complete text of your email?

Originally Posted By: johnchui1984
Here is the reply:
Yes, you can cause damage to the seals on a new vehicle if you use a high mileage oil. I would strongly suggest that you use a regular synthetic oil in its place.
I was asking about a 40000 miles car. So I think you dont need high-mileage oil unless you have serious engine problems. Maybe the amount of seal chemicals can cause considerable impacts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd me more concerned about the cheap filter they're going to use; that's why I change my own oil so I can use the filter I want.

Walmart TLE uses a Fram for their oil changes. If that's not good enough then simply traipse over to the auto section and pick up an Ultra or other filter for them to use.

Here is the reply:

No, the difference is minimal. It's not as if it is a different substance altogether. It meets API SN which limits many of the components of the oil. It is not that different.

Here is the reply:

LOL I've been using it for nearly 50,000 miles now off and on my Toyota Corolla still hasn't imploded!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
I have 163k on my 2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L, and have used nothing it Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 since I bought it almost six years ago. Just recently I switched to Castrol Magnatech 5w30 for the last two changes. The oil level only drops less than halfway between full and add on the dipstick between 6.5k oil changes. So unless you're leaking oil, I'd say just keep using what you've been using.

L8R,
Matt

Stand back quick that Chrysler motor is going to explode any second now!

BOOM!!!
lol.gif
lol.gif

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd me more concerned about the cheap filter they're going to use; that's why I change my own oil so I can use the filter I want.

Walmart TLE uses a Fram for their oil changes. If that's not good enough then simply traipse over to the auto section and pick up an Ultra or other filter for them to use.

But you're correct about other places like the tire chain stores, etc that use cheap, generic filters made in China, etc. It's kid of a two part equation. Quality oil and filter.

Well, I have a 2006 Colorado with 110k on the 3.5L I-5, and I am using Valvoline Max-Life 5W30 Synthetic Blend oil for a 5-6k OCI. Why not? I can get it delivered to my door via Amazon Prime for under $17/5 qt. every day of the week..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back