Do i need a new p/s pump ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. My friends hundai elentra (2004 60k mi) is acting up. The power steering pump is quiet when runing, and when you turn the wheel.....until you get to hard over. Iff you turn the wheel to either side all the way, the pump makes the belt squeak like mad. The pully becomes very hard to turn and belt slips. This only happens when the wheel is turned all the way to either side. New rack. New pump. ??! Thanks.

It's normal to not supposed to run at the stops. Squeaking the belt is a bit much though.

Maybe the rack has an adjustable stop that's supposed to stop things a millimeter before it completely extends?

I'd think the belt or tensioner would be the more likely suspect. The simplest solution, of course, is to stop turning the wheel so far.

Also, I'm not sure but I think your pump still uses a mechanical spring-operated pressure relief valve.

If the problem is in the pump, it's probably just that valve. It can be replaced without taking the pump apart.

Some vehicles have steering stops, which don't allow the steering to go too far and cause the sound of THAT noise and belt slipping your friends Hyundai is experiencing.

It may need some new power steering fluid and a belt change with maybe even a tension pully change as well. This noise that you describe sounds similar to my old '68 Buick steering
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Also, I'm not sure but I think your pump still uses a mechanical spring-operated pressure relief valve.

If the problem is in the pump, it's probably just that valve. It can be replaced without taking the pump apart.

Somehow I got confused and thought you were talking about your truck having this problem. The Hyundai has a loose or worn belt.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Hey guys. My friends hundai elentra (2004 60k mi) is acting up. The power steering pump is quiet when runing, and when you turn the wheel.....until you get to hard over. Iff you turn the wheel to either side all the way, the pump makes the belt squeak like mad. The pully becomes very hard to turn and belt slips. This only happens when the wheel is turned all the way to either side. New rack. New pump. ??! Thanks.

I worked at the Ford steering manufacturing plant for 16 years, so I can shed a little light on this.

I am going to presume/assume that your system is similar to the bazillions of systems out there already.

First and foremost, NEVER turn all the way to the stops and hold the wheel!

The reason you are hearing that squealing and such is because you are dead-heading the pump! Don't do that! When you do, you are really over-heating the fluid. You are creating a serious hydro-dynamic strain in the fluid circuit and that resistance is so great that it will often cause the belt to slip.

These type systems typically do NOT have a pressure relief valve. They work on a concept of flow balance. The pump is always moving fluid, and it balances between the two turn circuits and the main return circuit. When you "turn" normally you create a differential between the two turn circuits, and it still comes back in the return. But when you turn all the way to the stops, the cylinder piston has no where to go, but the pump is still trying to push it!

The reason there is no relief valve is because you do NOT want pressure relief during an emergency maneuver. If there was a relief in the circuit, and you yanked hard on the wheel to avoid an accident, it would have the effect of relieving at the very most critical time you need it most.

If your pump is nice and quite when driving normally, and the only time it makes a great deal of noise is when you turn all the way to the steering stops, there there is nothing wrong with the pump; the problem is with the driver!

If you need a super-tight turn, then turn all the way to the stop BRIEFLY (less than one second) and then back off the wheel just enough to relieve the pressure dead-head. You should be able to clearly hear the strain drop once you do this.

NEVER turn it to the stops and hold it there; you are cooking the fluid badly.

If you don't bottom out the steering wheel and it still makes a squealing noise, I would suspect a worn drive belt, weak auto-tensioner, and possibly failing idler pulleys.

If you don't bottom out the steering wheel, but you hear a moaning noise, it would suggest that either air has entered the system, or that the p/s pump needs replacement.

its not like im slamming the wheel hard all the way oover till it screams, turning very slowly, at one end or another it just seems to bind and squeal real bad. With almost no force turning the wheel.

Tighten both the alt belt and PS belt. If they are cracked and weathered replace both belts and tension them properly. This will fix your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back