Do I have to Stripping old wax/polish

First I live in an apartment so I wash my car at a car wash place. Next I’ve used Mcquires Ultimate car polish paste and every once in awhile use TW 3-1 Ceramic detailer.
Question….. I want to replace Mcquires and use TW ceramic hybrid, do I have to prep the car in any way. I’m looking for easy.
Help

Yes you should strip the old wax and prep the surface before applying new wax to ensure proper adhesion and maximum longevity. Start with a good strip wash like Griots Garage Foaming Surface Prep (10:1 dilution), or Turtle Wax Max Power Car Wash (9oz to 1 gallon), and then clay the paint to remove any remaining bonded contaminates (I recommend the Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Synthetic Claybar because its so fast and easy to use). Inspect the condition of the paint at this point to decide whether you need to add a polishing step. I would recommend a very mild abrasive type polish like Griots Garage Boss Perfecting Cream unless you need to do heavy paint correction (Don't use a polish that has fillers), and then do a final wash step with your strip wash to remove the polish oils before waxing. You should go to a 24 hour self serve car wash at night so you will not have a time limit, but you should have no issues doing it all right there. If you need to polish you will have to do it by hand unless you purchase a battery powered random orbital.

Last edited:
Back