Do I have to buy a new battery for Verizon?

Thing has been beeping the last 5 days driving me crazy. Just figured out it was this and not a smoke detector. Do I have to pay for a new one or will Verizon cover it?

IMG_8214.JPG

Verizon will not cover it as it is considered to be a consumable and not required for FiOS to work. The battery serves to provide a claimed 8 hours of backup power for the VoIP landline during a power outage. I never got more than 4 hours of backup power even when it was new. Also, it does not support the internet service or cable TV, so you can just unplug the battery if you don't have a landline. If you want to replace it, batteries are available on Amazon for ~$30 which is 1/2 of what Verizon charges in addition to the service call. If you order new FiOS service without a landline, the new power supply does not even come with the backup battery capability.

As a sidebar note, when my battery went low and the beeping alarm activated, RF noise was transmitted through my house wiring and caused interference with my Chamberlain/Sears garage door opener. The remote transmitter's effective range decreased from 60 feet to ~9 feet! I had to get out of the car and stand 2 feet from the garage door for it to work. Removing or replacing the battery in the FiOS unit restored the range of the garage door transmitter.

Last edited:
I do have 2 landline numbers but rarely does the power go out for more than a few minutes and I could use a cell if needed. If necessary could I just remove the battery? Can I use my jump box during a power outage if I wanted to make or receive calls?

I put mine on a charger used for the small lithium-polymer batteries on RC cars, and it went another 2 years before I had to replace it. That box is supposed to trickle charge those batteries, but somewhere along the way, it stops. The battery holds a charge from the RC charger for a long time before it starts beeping again.

Frontier (Verizon's successor in Texas) finally replaced my Verizon backup unit with a battery-less unit about 2 years ago. I'm glad.

I've had the same issue about a month ago. The guy that showed up from Verizon said, they do not use batteries or that equipment anymore. He disconnected and removed the battery and charger, and installed a straight up power supply with no standby battery. He said that's all they will do . If you really want to keep that setup, you can buy a replacement battery and install it yourself. They cost around $25 by me in New Jersey, at a electronics store.,,,

I've had the same issue about a month ago. The guy that showed up from Verizon said, they do not use batteries or that equipment anymore. He disconnected and removed the battery and charger, and installed a straight up power supply with no standby battery. He said that's all they will do . If you really want to keep that setup, you can buy a replacement battery and install it yourself. They cost around $25 by me in New Jersey, at a electronics store.,,,
I've had to change two batteries. Every time the low battery alarm beeps it freaks my dog out. What did Verizon charge for the direct power upgrade?

It's probably worth a call to Verizon. When my battery went out several years ago, I put in a service request and they came and replaced it with no charge.

Verizon is supposed to replace the battery. A coworker had his beeping for at least 3 years now. Verizon just won't replace it for them.

I do have 2 landline numbers but rarely does the power go out for more than a few minutes and I could use a cell if needed. If necessary could I just remove the battery? Can I use my jump box during a power outage if I wanted to make or receive calls?
You can just unplug the black and red pigtail connectors and leave the battery in place to get the beeping to stop. In a power outage, you should be able to use the landline if you hook up the 12v jump pack to the correct terminals. The battery in the jump pack should be very similar to the FiOS battery. Shortly after a Nor'easter storm knocked out power for several days in 2012, I removed a Group 24 battery from my truck and used it to power the phone line and FiOS ONT terminal for days.

I yanked the battery out when it started beeping and never looked back. You don't need it.

Back