do I consider switching to high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to do search with no success.

2006 Honda Pilot had since new.
From new till 90,000 miles dealer always did oil changes.
From 90,000 to current, 150,000, I have done them with Mobil 5000 5w-20 and either Wix or Fram Ultras.

Now, the last few oil changes I have noticed a substantial loss in oil between oil changes. I use the computer to dictate when that is and it always is at 0% between 4500 - 4700 miles. I always do filter and oil and always add all 5 quarts from the jug. When I collect the oil and pour back into the 5 quart jug it only reads between 2.5 and 3.5 recovered! How can that be? The exhaust does not exhibit burnt oil symptoms, there are no leaks as I would notice very quickly on my drive way, I pass emissions tests and never has a low oil light come on in the car!

What say the forum?

The car runs great. But is this an indication of the need for high mileage oil? And if so what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance

I'd replace the PCV valve with an OE valve if you haven't done so, that could be the problem right there if the engine isn't leaking. As far as a high mileage oil, Maxlife gets good reviews here, Pennzoil and Mobil make a good HM oil too. Another option would be to try a 5W30 oil, that would be a last resort though if nothing else works.

Does the pilot have VCM? I think I would be closely monitoring your oil consumption, checking the oil level at least once a week to see when it starts to drop.

If you are waiting until the end of an OCI to do that, ouch.....

You can switch to HM, but I think that isn't going to fully stop your oil consumption issues.

My engine is a J35A9 in a 4wheel drive thus it is not a VCM. As far as PCV valves, I don't recall ever changing it

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
I always do filter and oil and always add all 5 quarts from the jug. When I collect the oil and pour back into the 5 quart jug it only reads between 2.5 and 3.5 recovered! How can that be?

What is your sump capacity and what does your dipstick show before and after the oil change?

I might be misunderstanding you, but you seem to be assuming that the sump capacity = your jug (4.7 litres) and that you've lost between (5 - 2.5) and (5-3.5) U.S. quarts, or as much as 50% of your assumed sump capacity.

In that case your dipstick would surely be showing low well before your oil change.

You also seem to be assuming that no oil is retained in the engine after a drain, hence the above calculation for oil loss.

I doubt any of these assumptions (except maybe sump capacity=jug, which could be, though a bit of a coincidence) are valid.

Last edited:
Tried to do search with no success.

2006 Honda Pilot had since new.
From new till 90,000 miles dealer always did oil changes.
From 90,000 to current, 150,000, I have done them with Mobil 5000 5w-20 and either Wix or Fram Ultras.

Now, the last few oil changes I have noticed a substantial loss in oil between oil changes. I use the computer to dictate when that is and it always is at 0% between 4500 - 4700 miles. I always do filter and oil and always add all 5 quarts from the jug. When I collect the oil and pour back into the 5 quart jug it only reads between 2.5 and 3.5 recovered! How can that be? The exhaust does not exhibit burnt oil symptoms, there are no leaks as I would notice very quickly on my drive way, I pass emissions tests and never has a low oil light come on in the car!

What say the forum?

The car runs great. But is this an indication of the need for high mileage oil? And if so what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance

This is classic case of broken valve seal, you may try HM if that helps to reduce to acceptable level, otherwise just open the engine and replace the valve seal. It is quite common it happens around 10 years age of the engine.

You are 110% correct in that these are my assumptions and are purely based on the visual cues available at the time the oil change is done. And again, the oil chance is triggered by the idiot light telling me. Let me look into the sump capacity. And as far as dip stick readings, I can get that shortly as the car has been sitting overnight and is due for a change.

I just looked into what is involved to replace valve seals, not happening. IF it's the valve seals, other than oil consumption, are there any ill effects driving like this? And will HM oil make any difference?

No doubt! What's strange is that the low oil light has never come on.

Might only be a low pressure light and you haven't found it quite yet.

Check more often.

Cmon man,check your oil at least every 500 miles or so.
Don't wait until its time for a change.
It's not hard to check.
If you can't do it just ask some high school girl to help you.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I would certainly check more frequently, though.

IF I understand the OP's explanations correctly, he has never checked, at all, but is relying entirely on the OLM. If his sump capacity assumptions are off he might not have been refilling the system accurately either.

Seems like he's got away with it, which is nice, but that luck might not hold.

Those before me have said it well, you need to be MUCH closer to this engine, its aging and needs more careful attention with less assumptions. Let us know what you conclude
smile.gif

for reference:

The Honda VTEC 3.5L V6 engine's oil capacity specification for an oil change with filter replacement is 4.5 U.S. quarts (or 4.3 Liters) of SAE 5W-20 oil.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
for reference:

The Honda VTEC 3.5L V6 engine's oil capacity specification for an oil change with filter replacement is 4.5 U.S. quarts (or 4.3 Liters) of SAE 5W-20 oil.

So a slight overfill each time, which has probably provided a bit of a safety margin.

In regards to checking oil, I'll eat crow as you are all correct, NO I do not check oil between oil changes. I completely rely on the OLM and any other indicator lamps on the dash. Am I capable, sure, it should be obvious as I'm doing the oil change. Is it out of laziness, no, again if I was lazy I wouldt do my own changes. As this is a modern vehicle I don't feel as should have to check like it's a 78 El Camino. Now that we've gotten all my assumptions and procedure out of the way it's obvious since I want this truck to last a lot longer I will have to pop the hood a lot more often.

Now back to brass tacks, in regards to sump capacity, I have not been able to find an actual number. As stated above, the protocol is 4.5qts added when it's an oil and filter change. As I always add the entire 5qt jug even with the fact that some stays in the engine simple math over the last few oil changes would say a lot of oil is going somewhere! And I can tell you it's not my drain pan, it's not on my drive way and it sure isn't being retained by the engine.

So we are left with burning oil correct? And if that's the only logical explanation, is it the only one btw?, will a HM motor oil help? I guess the next thing would be is to find out why it's burning oil!

I'm not arguing, I came to you guys for help in understanding this. I'm a simple guy, I put 5qts in I should get at least 4qts out is my mindset!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
for reference:

So a slight overfill each time, which has probably provided a bit of a safety margin.

And I have done this since I took over oil changes at 90k

My V6 Honda of that era (Accord J30 V6, 2005) burned a bit of oil once it passed 100k, still does. I NEVER let it get low, ever, oil changes were always done around 7500 miles with Mobil 1 5w20 and a Wix or Honda A01 filter, and the PCV valve is replaced every 30k at most, but unfortunately it still burns a little for some reason (maybe bad airbox? I'm not sure).

In any case, I was losing about 1qt every 2000-3500 miles with the M1 5w20, now with the Maxlife 5w30 blend I have only had to add about 1/8 of a quart in the last 2500 miles, which in my mind is great and simply could've just been level inconsistency from the car not being on a totally flat surface. I have lost no MPGs since moving over to ML 5w30, car runs quiet and smooth, so it gets my vote as it is working great in my J-series Honda engine.

OP, I'd change out the PCV valve with a new OEM only, some of the aftermarket Honda PCV valves are pretty cheap and junky, worth it to go OEM. I'd probably also look at ML 5w30 blend (red bottle), it's cheap and lots of users report similar success that I've been enjoying. I know a lot of Hondas use oil, but they'll continue to use oil into the 300k mile range and still be running, so keep it topped up and you'll have plenty of life left in that engine.

Yea try some 5w30 HM oil like valvoline maxlife. Just check it every 1000miles or once a month to see how it wears.

That and clean/replace the PCV valve and throttle body with carb cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back