do I consider switching to high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaxLife 5W-30 blend - red bottle - check oil every 1000 miles - when it gets half a quart low - top it off. Change the PCV with a genuine Honda replacement from the dealer. OLM only tells you when to change the oil - it assumes you are keeping it topped off. When the oil light comes on, you're probably at least 3 quarts low - you don't want that to happen.

i was always told you check your oil with every fill of fuel. might need to de-carbon the engine, check plugs, i'd also try a lightly thicker grade oil. 5-30. see how it fairs then.

If I were to let my Hondas go almost 5k without checking the oil, the dipsticks would be dry.

Also, you won't necessarily get a low oil pressure light from being 1.5 quarts low.

I would go with Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn 5w20 and check it every 1000 if you're serious about maximizing longevity.

It's not much more than the Syn-blend MaxLife red bottle and the certifications are better too.

There is no "Low oil level light" on your 2006 Honda. The low oil pressure light will come on when it is time to buy a new engine or car.

Yes, even in your "modern car", you need to check your oil level with the dipstick, dipstick.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
There is no "Low oil level light" on your 2006 Honda. The low oil pressure light will come on when it is time to buy a new engine or car.

I wondered about that when he said it. There aren't many cars that do have a level light or gauge.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: ammolab

I wondered about that when he said it. There aren't many cars that do have a level light or gauge.

A lot of the old Benzes from the 70s, 80s and 90s have oil pressure gauges that'll pretty much save you if you're paying attention and get it shut down fast enough, sure saved me when I have a piece of wood punch my 300sd oil cooler rubber line on the highway; saw oil pressure fall quickly and shut er down
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I would certainly check more frequently, though.

+10000! If the only time low oil is noticed is at change time, the level really needs to be checked somewhere in the middle.

Some oil remains in the filter (if it is a canister) at change time, so that will account for some of the loss.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
for reference:

The Honda VTEC 3.5L V6 engine's oil capacity specification for an oil change with filter replacement is 4.5 U.S. quarts (or 4.3 Liters) of SAE 5W-20 oil.

So a slight overfill each time, which has probably provided a bit of a safety margin.

IOW, one half of your SNAFU saved you from the other.

How often can you say that?

Hondas are oil burners anyway. We have a 2008 Accord LX with 180k miles and it burns 1 quart every 1500-2200 miles or so, Honda says 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable

Originally Posted By: cumminsdieselfre
Hondas are oil burners anyway. We have a 2008 Accord LX with 180k miles and it burns 1 quart every 1500-2200 miles or so, Honda says 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable
4 banger? They definitely like their oil, v6 not as known to drink oil, guess I just got lucky even with impeccable maintenance
crazy.gif

Start checking oil levels once per week on a flat surface to get an accurate reading. My Toyota had NO oil loss in 4,000kms and I stopped checking once per week thinking everything was fine. It suddenly consumed an alarming amount in the following 1,500kms.

It may be non linear oil consumption and some engines might beat up and consume different oils at different rates. I'd also start thinking of going up a grade to 5W30. Maybe a A3/B4 rated 5W30 as it will have 3.5 HTHS minimum (a bit thicker than resource conserving oils).

Establish at what mileage into the OCI the oil consumption begins and at what the consumption rate is.

Monitor the rate of loss each week

eg It may begin at 3000 miles and then at a rapid loss to 4700miles or
it maybe consume oil at a uniform rate throughout the OCI from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back