Do Fuel Additives require an EPA approval to be used for On-Road use? Trying to buy from Euro-mfg

My question is: Do Fuel Additives require an EPA approval to be used/sold for On-Road use?

There's so many small production fuel additives mentioned on the board over the years, do they have EPA approvals?

For many years now, I've been trying to buy an FBC additive from a very large international mfg, but who only sells this one diesel additive in Europe and other foreign countries and will not sell in the U.S. due to EPA rules/fee's ect. since they did not maintain their EPA approval, and they said it costs millions to get new approvals, so they abandoned the U.S. market. I really doubt that some of the small additive companies often advocated here went thru all this "Red-Tape".

Is there a way around it? Do they state on their products it's for "Off-Road Use Only" to get around it? Or do they also have EPA approvals to sell it?

So that is the excuse I'm getting now for not sending me even a sample to try as promised to me a few times, and this is coming from their GM of Industrial Sales. Not sure if it's a brush-off, but initially they were going to send me some product. Maybe they're skittish of shipping it into a market with no EPA approvals......

I just found the EPA approval list and will start some searching for some products mentioned.

By product Name:
By Company Name:
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/fuels1/ffars/web-dies.htm

Thanks for any insight into this.

Last edited:
So I off the top of my head, I checked a few small producers of fuel additives and they are listed on that EPA list. Can't find the Auto-Rx by name on the EPA list above. I wonder if they have a way around it, unless it's under another name. Just hoping to give this company an example of any products not listed in order to send me some product....

Last edited:
Cadchris, Auto-RX was an oil supplement and not used in the fuel. I don't believe you would find it on the fuel additive list.

So that is the excuse I'm getting now for not sending me even a sample to try as promised to me a few times, and this is coming from their GM of Industrial Sales. Not sure if it's a brush-off, but initially they were going to send me some product. Maybe they're skittish of shipping it into a market with no EPA approvals......
If the product needed EPA approval in the past and the company let it lapse, they aren't going to sneak some into the country for you.

Back