Do engines change by country?

I would check the PCV and do some cleaning using anything from Rislone to that special HP cleaning oil or Kreen. Then use a 5W-20 high mileage oil and if the consumption continues move up to 5W-30 HM, Thicker oils won't do much to the VTEC but lower fuel economy...

40 years ago, people were saying the same thing about 5w30...

The difference is that 40 years ago oil viscosities by in large were not being driven as a result of federal legislation. It's that aspect that chafes some, myself included.

Here's the reality. Given an equal application of technology to 0w-20 or 5w-30 oils your choices are slightly better fuel economy or slightly better lubrication protection. Some of prefer to make the latter choice versus it being made for them by a bunch of guys in Congress that probably aren't collectively capable of running a fast food restaurant (regardless of political affiliation), much less deciding the details of what sort of oil I should be running in my car.

The other reality is it probably doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference for most people that are driving sedately to and from work and to the grocery store. These are slight differences in either direction. It also incidentally isn't going to make any measurable difference on global warming or the environment. China is currently completing a new coal fired power plant about every 2-3 weeks. Whether all the cars in the US average 31 mpg or 32 mpg is lost in the noise.

So in the end it probably is all much ado about nothing.

Back