Do Catalytic Converter Cleaners Work

Ca wont allow a generic cat to be installed. It must be stamped with a code and that code has to match the car it is on. The smog guy will check.

I firmly believe that many cat failures are from worn spark plugs.

Last time I checked the 3 c.a.r.b. cats for my jeep ran about $2400.
Yep. Our Governator pushed this one through. Now they are big bucks.
I imagine the cost of the "precious metals" has skyrocked as well...

People were stealing them off cars for the high scrap value a few years back. Seems to have stopped.

Yep. Our Governator pushed this one through. Now they are big bucks.
I imagine the cost of the "precious metals" has skyrocked as well...

People were stealing them off cars for the high scrap value a few years back. Seems to have stopped.
I dunno where they sell stolen cats. I tried to sell a couple I had and no yards would buy them. I threw them n the trash

Ca wont allow a generic cat to be installed. It must be stamped with a code and that code has to match the car it is on. The smog guy will check.

You mean misfires in general, The catalyst can only handle so much raw fuel.

Last time I checked the 3 c.a.r.b. cats for my jeep ran about $2400

How worn are we talking? Misfire bad or 5k past the 60k due date? Serious question.

I wonder if you could find a compatible one at a junkyard. Maybe you'll get lucky and find out if the cat in your transit is also in other ford models.
Yeah as others said, catalytic converters are one of the few things that can't be bought used. The new ones don't have as much metals as the factory ones and hence only have to have 5 year warranties whereas a factory one is supposed to last the life of the car.

On a performance car with modified exhaust system, yeah they'll check. On OP's Transit?, they're not checking.

I remember my Dad taking off his carbon clogged Cat which he did exposed it to leaded gas. Washing it out with a solvent, reinstalling it and passing the emission tests 2 or 3 times before he finally sold his old 79 Mustang.

I will chek the code. In the meantime I am getting a treament of Cataclean and see what happens.
As I mentioned above, it has seemed to work on our RX330 (I likely jinxed it and the light comes back on).
The other thing I did during the Cataclean treatment, I took the RX out and ran it pretty hard on the Interstate; no idea if that mattered.
I do agree with 01rangerxl, it is a lot like a lottery ticket and though I usually never play, this time I am happy with the 2 $25 can results.
Hope you will report back.

You can't sell them because everyone is stealing them off of vehicles.

Cat thefts

I would think it is easier to get a job than to run around all night jacking up cars and stealing the cats. They don't even hide it anymore before nobody will do anything.

My 2015 Ford Transit check engine light has been coming on and off. Dealer said need new converter. Very Pricey. I want to try a converter cleaner. Has anybody used one with success. Is there one that is recommended?
I think the bigger question, assuming you DO need a new converter.....is why? And does that mean you'll need another in 5 years time?

Going to replace plugs, change air filter and scan for any other problems. I will then run a cat cleaner through.

An acetylene torch and compressed air can blow out and clean up nearly any cat

If you have access to these get her red hot/burning then blow air through and the cat should burn off any crud and be rejuvenated there are videos showing how to do this.

Back