Do any of you garden?

I started getting into it a bit more recently. We have had a flower bed that I’ve “cared” for since we moved into this house 4 years ago, but I never gave it enough attention. I always kept roses in it since they are fairly low maintenance and look nice nearly year round. A month or so ago I dug them all up since they were diseased and planted a bed of more colorful annuals / perennials. It looked great but unfortunately some of them stated dying off, and many of the rest were attacked by pests. So round two happened today. I went to our favorite local nursery and picked up some more. The new plant includes some gerber daises, morning glories, a yellow canna Lillie among a few others. If these don’t work out I’ll go back to roses. I also repotted a few propagations. I realize this is an oil forum lol, just curious if anyone has this shared interest.

Attachments

• A9768558-CC1D-40CC-A3FF-9F10F6DF7D36.jpeg
    A9768558-CC1D-40CC-A3FF-9F10F6DF7D36.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1B9DE1F7-6C29-4575-BCFC-D91B8E6A3CF4.jpeg
    1B9DE1F7-6C29-4575-BCFC-D91B8E6A3CF4.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 6ABEB3B3-7474-46BD-84BA-63229F2C7766.jpeg
    6ABEB3B3-7474-46BD-84BA-63229F2C7766.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 17
Just be careful I was gardening once and hit my car with the shovel when I was retrieving it from garage. if you did that you would need a new car ;)

FWIW I have never had luck gardening.. but have a giant rose bush right now.. huge 5ft diameter
and a monster hydrangea.

Hydrangea pic is recent, rose is from spring/may.. much bigger now.
PXL_20210720_232819571.MP-EFFECTS.jpgPXL_20210526_170003597.jpg

Last edited:
Just be careful I was gardening once and hit my car with the shovel when I was retrieving it from garage. if you did that you would need a new car ;)

FWIW I have never had luck gardening.. but have a giant rose bush right now.. huge 5ft diameter
and a monster hydrangea.
Yikes. I’ve done that once but thankfully it was the wooden end. That’s a big hydrangea. What fertilizer do you use, if any? Right now i just use miracle grow water in.

I do very little gardening myself. Besides picking lemons, grapefruit, tomatoes, and herbs, I'll water my plants. My help has green thumbs, and she does all the actual gardening.

Greg you are the busiest member on the forum! On top of excellent car maintenance and detail you manage gardening! I’m impressed, wish I had your energy. Being old and Italian my plants are the proper spices - basil oregano thyme rosemary ….

Greg you are the busiest member on the forum! On top of excellent car maintenance and detail you manage gardening! I’m impressed, wish I had your energy. Being old and Italian my plants are the proper spices - basil oregano thyme rosemary …
I'd say my hobby is relaxing, but I do that infrequently. On my days off you will usually find me doing yard work or washing one of the cars. The back of the house needs to be cleaned and repainted, not looking forward to that one. Tomorrow is my b-day so I am hoping to relax the rest of the evening and tomorrow!

I like trees and flowers. Vegetable gardens require a lot of.... work. Our tomato plants didn’t do well this year, but we had lots of cucumbers.

I try to take care of the many flower beds and bushes on our lot. Never got into vegtable
garden though. Love the roses,black eyed susans,lilly's etc

My wife has the GREEN thumb and 1/4 our back yard is growing our own vegetables and the rest is her personal garden for hobby. Me I have the oil thumb I work on vehicles. :cool:

Wife has a garden, and multiple flower gardens. Me, I wouldn’t mind but been too busy.

Not really gardening but I have Basil, Cowbell peppers, Devils Cayanne, Poblano peppers, and Mad Hatter peppers in large 5 gallon pots. I can't have a real garden because my pups either eat the peppers or pee on them.

I grew up in a gardening family. I hated it as a kid and never took to it. But the last few years I wanted to start, as a way to get a bit more self sufficient but also to help with mental health.

I have plenty of space at my acreage but started with a small 20x30' plot. We have horses so finding some composted manure was easy. This first year i managed plenty of lettuce, peas, carrots and potatoes. The cucumbers never took off as they ran out of room and the tomatoes are coming along, albeit slowly.

Its a nice feeling to feed your family with food you produced. Next year I will plant less with much better spacing as things became overgrown in a hurry, even after using the suggested spacing intervals.

Back