Do any of the API tests measure wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

I saw some oil at Menards for 99 cents/quart that is rated SL. Why wouldn't it be just as good as the more expensive oils that meet this requirement?

[ February 11, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:
I saw some oil at Menards for 99 cents/quart that is rated SL. Why wouldn't it be just as good as the more expensive oils that meet this requirement?

The API tests measure how well the oil holds up under certain conditions. Those tests don't measure wear on the test engines. Keep in mind that when you see wear metals in an oil analysis, this is really an indication of the condition of the engine, not the oil. It is an indication of how well the oil is protecting the engine, not how well the oil is holding up. Other parts of the oil analysis do that.

All things being equal, one SL oil should be just as good as another SL oil. But things are never equal. Companies use different components to produce an oil, and it's the quality of the compoents that will determine how well the oil will perform above and beyond the API specified minimum standards. Plus, keep in mind that the API has itself stated that in an audit of "certified" oils last year, many did not in fact meet the requirements. I'd be willing to bet that the ones that didn't meet the specs were the "El-Cheapo" brands.

Well, chalk one up to "learning something new everyday." TooSlick just sent me a private message pointing out that some of the API test sequences do indeed test wear points in the test engines. I've looked at these test sequences many times and never paid any attention to the wear parameters for the Seq. IIIF, Seq IVA, and Seq VE tests. My boo-boo.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back