Do any HM oils meet ACEA A5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at different blends / high mile oils, and I noticed Syntec Blend (10W-30) meets A5. What about the various hi-mile oils? I was wondering about Maxlife, since it seems to do a good job of staying in grade.

A5 is a low HT/HS extended drain spec. It's very doubtful than any HM oil made in the US can meet this spec since these oils, even though extremely well built with good additives, are still made with mostly Group II base stocks.

I am somewhat surprised that 10W-30 Syntec Blend meets A5, but I saw it with my own two eyes at Wal Mart yesterday. I am gonna try this oil in my 3.4 GM V6.

If Syntec Blend can meet A5, maybe some of the HM "blends" can do it too?
dunno.gif

quote:

In Canada Castrol started labeling GTX bottles with ACEA A5 rating. I wonder if US market Castrol GTX is far behind... Right now it says ACEA A1 but I bet you we will see ACEA A5 before long.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:

quote:

In Canada Castrol started labeling GTX bottles with ACEA A5 rating. I wonder if US market Castrol GTX is far behind... Right now it says ACEA A1 but I bet you we will see ACEA A5 before long.

There is no way I believe regular GTX meets A5.

If regular GTX DOES actually meet A5, it's gotta be one of the all time top "value oils". Is this just Castrol marketing BS, or is Castrol really making top quality oils these days?

This is taken right off Castrol Canada's website, regarding their GTX lineup, and no mention of A5:

quote:

Available Grades

* SAE 5W-20: is a premium, multi-grade oil, providing cold start protection with Exceptional Fuel Economy. SAE 5W-20 exceeds API service SL, SJ and SH, as well as exceeding ILSAC GF-3/GF-2 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and Ford WSS-M2C153-H. SAE 5W-20 should only be used in vehicles where SAE 5W-20 is recommended by manufacturer.
* SAE 5W-30: is a premium, super multi-grade that provides maximum cold weather engine protection and can help extend engine life. SAE 5W-30 exceeds ACEA: A1, API Service SL, SJ and SH, as well as exceeding the requirements of ILSAC GF-3/GF-2 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.
* SAE 10W-30: is a premium, super multi-grade that provides excellent fuel economy and can help extend engine life. SAE 10W-30 exceeds ACEA: A1, API Service SL, SJ and SH as well as exceeding the requirements of ILSAC GF-3/GF-2 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.
* SAE 10W-40: is a premium, super multigrade that provides maximum protection in all seasons and can help extend engine life. SAE 10W-40 exceeds API service SL, SJ and SH as well as exceeding the engine protection requirements for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.
* SAE 20W-50: is a premium, super multigrade that guards against wear by providing a superior oil film strength and extreme high temperature strength. 20W-50 exceeds API service SL, SJ and SH. Also exceeds the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I have been looking at different blends / high mile oils, and I noticed Syntec Blend (10W-30) meets A5. What about the various hi-mile oils? I was wondering about Maxlife, since it seems to do a good job of staying in grade.

Valvoline tech line told me the 10w40 Maxlife has a minimum HT/HS of 3.5. I have 2250 miles on my 10w40 maxlife and have not had to top up yet. Oil pressure is being maintained too (of course haven't tested it in hot summer weather). Flash point of the 10w40 is 242C! I'm a happy camper.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back