Do any conventional oils meet the Acura HTO-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
No. Few synthetic oils meet it.

I think my statement would be that a few synthetic oils have bothered testing for the spec since only one vehicle (maybe 2 by now in 4 years?) need the spec.

If it was a popular spec, then more syn oils would meet it with no problem.

Why spend the $$ testing for Mobil's (oh sorry
grin2.gif
) Honda's spec?

But no, I doubt you'll see any conventional oils trying for that spec.

Take care, Bill

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Proven_Superiority.aspx

Never said it was a popular test. Honda did test 5 OTC oils and only one passed with excellent results. M1. PP is probably the other oil in the graph that was above the min. acceptable line. Anyone's guess though.

For GF-5, deposit control is one area oils will be improved over GF-4.

Before you go off on one of your rants Bill, I am in agreement that 95% of most cars don't need this type of oil or level of protection.

Any API cert oil is all one needs if following OEM intervals.

Does anyone know what the "deposit formation" criteria was for that test by Acura? I only looked at the link that buster provided, which only seems to include a graph of deposit formation performance for various oils, only one of which, the Mobil 1, is actually identified. A graph where the only labels are "excellent", "minimum acceptable" and "poor" doesn't tell me much.

Is there anyone that has a link to quantitative measures corresponding to "excellent", "minimum acceptable" and "poor"?

Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back