Do aluminum blocks have the same risk of cracking when exposed to water while hot?

I have a 2020 4runner and took it off-roading today. I drove home and allowed the car to sit for an hour then moved it to the car wash station at my apartment. The coolant gauge was about at about 1/4 when I move it. I washed off the mud and then sprayed down the undercarriage, axle and wheel wells. Only after did it occur to me that maybe I should have waited until the engine was completely cold. Do modern aluminum block/head engines have the same risk of cracking as iron blocks when they are hot and exposed to water?

Don't worry, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The temperature change really isn't huge in the scheme of things.
Also I recall one of GM or Fords reliability engine tests is running the engine at wide open throttle and instantly circulating -20 F give or take coolant throughout the block until it's completely cooled down so they can cold start it.

I would bet on Toyota having a durability test at least as punishing.
So you probably partially sprayed a 150 degree block with 50 degree water? Child's play

metallurgy has come a long ways, I haven't heard of a block cracking because of differential temperature in a long time

4x4ing years ago, I dipped a fully hot aluminum v6, and all of its exhaust, and everything else, in nice cold creek water, many times. No issue.

even dunked a 1.8L Subaru, quite unexpectedly, completely under water, shutting it down fast before it sucked any in the intake. Pulled it out and drove it 300 miles the next day. No issue.

You'll be fine. Northeast is full of Subarus with aluminum blocks. Water, snow, slush, never a cracked block.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I washed my car again today and inadvertently found myself in the same situation where I had driven the car up to operating temperature, let it sit for an hour or so and then drove it to the wash station at my apartment. The temperature gauge was at the same position so I checked the scan gauge app on my phone to see what the engine coolant was at. It read 163 degrees so I’m pretty confident that the engine coolant temp was 165 degrees or lower when I was washing the undercarriage a week ago. I’m assuming the engine coolant temp would be the same or higher than the surface temp of the engine that would have been sprayed with water since the water pump wasn’t circulating and the thermostat was likely closed at that point.

Back