Do all years of the Camry have a differential plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2009 2.4L Camry has a handy ATF drain plug but I can't seem to find the differential drain. However, i found what appears to be the fill plug. It seems the older models have a separate differential drain with the differential bathing in its own fluid. Some forums are saying that at some point Toyota gave the ATF and differential common fluid. Does anybody know for sure?

A much under appreciated resource by bitog'rs is the factory service manual. I believe the one I purchased for my !echo! was about $150. I can honestly say, I've saved hours of research and hundreds of $$ by having access to it; If you have some extra kaching, I recommend the purchase of one.

The pre-2001 Camry's differential shared ATF with the transmission but had a separate drain plug. However, it was filled via the trans. dipstick.

Not sure about 09'.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
A much under appreciated resource by bitog'rs is the factory service manual. I believe the one I purchased for my !echo! was about $150. I can honestly say, I've saved hours of research and hundreds of $$ by having access to it; If you have some extra kaching, I recommend the purchase of one.

+1 you don't want to make a mistake on a transmission. I get a SM when I get a new car. If you can't then ask this on the Camry section in ToyotaNation. Someone may even have a used SM. I get all my manuals used on ebay for $20.

Last edited:
Factory service manual? I take it this is better than a Chiltons?

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Factory service manual? I take it this is better than a Chiltons?

Seriously, are you kidding? When I threw a p0420 code, the FSM had the exact diagnostics, including the proper resistance to measure across the O2 sensors to determine if they were the cause. My FSM is about 1 3/4" thick, with illustrated parts breakdown of every system.

A factory manual has no equal for your car.
The closest thing would be a subscription to Alldatadiy.
The online version is real close to the Genuine Toyota factory manual.....but has the advantage of being updated with Technical Service Bulletins.
I have both for my Toyota.

You can also register your vehicle on the Toyota website for FREE.....you will need your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to do this.
This will give you access to a history of work done at any Toyota dealership and any recall information that applies to your SPECIFIC vehicle.

As mentioned already, some years have a differential plug, other years (newer) don't.
My 2003 Sienna has a separate plug for the differential.....the only advantage of it is that you can drain slightly more fluid out of the system.
My vehicle shares the same fluid with the transmission......I read this....but just to be sure, I left the differential plug out.....put the tranny plug in, and added new transmission fluid in through the dipstick tube until I saw some fresh fluid flow out the differential.
Then I put the differential plug in and filled the system with new transmission fluid.

Originally Posted by tadeusztomaszew
You got ALL FSM for FREE right here.
Example 2007 Camry Hybrid....

https://cardiagn.com/2007-toyota-camry-hybrid-ahv-40-series-service-repair-manual-rm02h0u/

still.. even with THAT I cannot find where in
Toyota Camry Hybrid 2007
1. where REAR DIFFERENTIAL oil replacement drain/fill plusg are and how much oil comes in
2.I believe the fron PowerSplit Device is all TCH has and it uses TOYOTA TF WS fluid that alos lubricates the differential...

Uh, well, to answer Q#1: A 2007 Camry Hybrid doesn't have a "rear differential". It's a front-wheel-drive vehicle.

Originally Posted by khittner
Originally Posted by tadeusztomaszew
You got ALL FSM for FREE right here.
Example 2007 Camry Hybrid....

https://cardiagn.com/2007-toyota-camry-hybrid-ahv-40-series-service-repair-manual-rm02h0u/

still.. even with THAT I cannot find where in
Toyota Camry Hybrid 2007
1. where REAR DIFFERENTIAL oil replacement drain/fill plusg are and how much oil comes in
2.I believe the fron PowerSplit Device is all TCH has and it uses TOYOTA TF WS fluid that alos lubricates the differential...

Uh, well, to answer Q#1: A 2007 Camry Hybrid doesn't have a "rear differential". It's a front-wheel-drive vehicle.

It's been front wheel drive since the 1980s.

Thanks for the answers guys...my working on X5 recently got me post the question under the wrong car.
So here is my correction for Toyota Camry Hybrid 2007:

The front PSD fluid OE is toyota ATF WS. It seems the front PSD in Camry Hybrid is lubricated by the same fluid that is shared with
the front differential and there are NO other separate procedures for the replacement of the oil for the diff.
Once I do PSD fluid replacement I am done I assume. Reason I am asking, some Camry used to share fluid (not just type of fluid, actual fluid )
and refilling the transmission via fill whole was INSUFFICENT and you would run on dry diff if you did not fill the diff SEPARATELY.

BMW X5 2007 has it that way. There is FRONT DIFF, REAR DIFF, Transfer Box, TRANSMISSION all using individual fluids.
I am trying to get a hold of what it is for Camry HYBRID 2007.

I assume there is ONLY PSD fluid to be changed which is Toyota ATF WS and that is ALL for Camry Hybrid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers guys...my working on X5 recently got me post the wrong question under the wrong car
So here is my correction:

The front PSD fluid OE is toyota ATF WS. It seems the front PSD in Camry Hybrid is lubricated by the same fluid that is shared with
the front differential and there are NO other separate procedures for the replacement of the oil for the diff.
Once I do PSD fluid replacement I am done I assume. Reason I am asking, some Camry used to share fluid (not just type of fluid, actual fluid )
and refilling the transmission via fill whole was INSUFFICENT and you would run on dry diff if you did not fill the diff SEPARATELY.

(BMW X5 has it that way. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back