Do Air Filters Have Shelf Life [ Mopar: Amazon 8.25yr old ]

Ordered a Mopar Air Filter from Amazon. Its authentic, not questioning that but reading a label on the mopar air filter box and it is 07/09/12.

Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy that the filter is 8.25yrs old but suppose I am overthinking it and they have a very long shelf life??

Just feels wrong to put a 2012 manufactured filter in my 2017

I would not hesitate using it if it were stored in good conditions. I have air filters that I got a deal on slightly older than yours and I use them as needed.

I think there are more than a few cars out there with ok looking 8-year-old filters in their airboxes.

That said, when I purchase something, I would like it to be made relatively recently.

I think there are more than a few cars out there with ok looking 8-year-old filters in their airboxes.

That said, when I purchase something, I would like it to be made relatively recently.
I will admit to going 3 years and 42k on my factory 5.3L’s filter. It did not appear to be that dirty but the media was easy to break (brittle) when I spread the pleats to look deeper.
Put in an STP premium and will cut that run to 30k …

suppose I am overthinking it and they have a very long shelf life??

overthinking is in the eye of the beholder- I would recommend a personal policy of a pre use check rather than a simple date ( obviously this is not for everything but mainly focused on long life items)

Everything degrades over time- the question then evolves to how much? and moves to "does it matter?"

Those don't have hard, fixed, clear cut answers and often are hard to even estimate and theres no set method to guarantee a proper result.

Even then suppose it ages well but we introduce more uncontrolled variables something like moisture, contamination, surface coating, finish degradation of whatever- the list is endless

As a rule of thumb, compare whatever attributes of the old to the attributes to the new and if in doubt either use but monitor or discard and be done with it.

I will admit to going 3 years and 42k on my factory 5.3L’s filter. It did not appear to be that dirty but the media was easy to break (brittle) when I spread the pleats to look deeper.
Put in an STP premium and will cut that run to 30k …
I see your located in Texas, do you think the heat did that to the material?

That's a good point. Had a low use vehicle where the air filter was in the air box for 15 years. When I changed it there was no sign of any degradation, except for it being dirty. An air filter in the air box is probably a worse storage spot then inside a dry temperature controlled room.

Couldn't do it mentally. Returned the 8.25yr old oem new one from Amazon.

Bought a new one from stealership, was made in July of 2020. Color was much more vibrant.

Think I am swearing off Amazon on autoparts. Also had problem with an oem spark plug wire set from Amazon in the past (boot was too long on one of them, clip recessed to far inside of). Think may need to stay with RockAuto.

Attached photos are of the Amazon 8.25yr old oem new one (note the porous holes along the seal area). Mopar box it came in did not look water damaged at all but noticing in one of these photos some weird discoloration.
IMG_20201128_095904.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_100030.jpg
    IMG_20201128_100030.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20201128_100254.jpg
    IMG_20201128_100254.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
^ Those holes are a not a problem, but it does bring up the point that the shelf life of a filter is over when the flexible perimeter material is too stiff (or cracking apart) to seal. Stored reasonably, out of direct sunlight, that's probably over 20 years depending on the type of material but the vehicle air box design also determines how much flexibility the seal needs to work.

Back