Do additives and detergents really sink in shelved oil?

I remember that picture showing some kind of sediment at the bottom of the Pennzoil jug. The bright plastic really helps contrast the sediment which was dark brown/gray or black, but a very small quantity, not enough to make anyone flip out. Most oil producers will tell you to shake and use, no issues. I'd argue if nearly any fluid sits long enough, something will eventually settle out. I shake my oil jugs every 3-4 months just to keep everything nicely blended, fortunately I do not have a huge stash.

We were remodeling a house last night and there was a half quart of what looked like 1980s vintage PYB. I of course opened it and took a look. Bottom of the quart bottle was perfectly clean!! If it’s still there and didn’t get thrown away, I’ll grab it👍

Does the sediment really re-combine into the oil after shaking? Or does it just distribute enough to not be as visible in the oil?

In other words, is the oil filter just going to catch all of it anyway?

Does the sediment really re-combine into the oil after shaking? Or does it just distribute enough to not be as visible in the oil?

In other words, is the oil filter just going to catch all of it anyway?
As long as you get everything out of the jug and into the engine I have ZERO doubt the thrashing/mixing/heating in the engine is more than enough to get everything back into suspension. Even if this material was initially caught in the filter it is constantly being washed by hot oil and it will quickly go back into solution.

Additives in the DI package may, over time dissolute, and then conglomerate to the point they may fall under gravity to the bottom of a container.

The solution for long time stored lubricants is to warm them up and shake or agitate to place them back in solution.
Sir, Please clarify warm. Putting in the sun? Or by other means? Thank you Molakule!

Back