DNA test and opening a can of worms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Al
The DNA discussions always brings out the tinfoilhats

There's a difference in throwing your hat in the ring at this stage in life Al, and throwing your hat in the ring and having 60 years for people to take potty in the hat. For a reason.

I do understand that Shannow. Even though I don't like the way our county is going in so many ways....more and more the trend is actually to protect the consumer from things like intrusive exploitation by allowing violation of sharing of private health information.
HPPA is extremely powerful and will never go away. Not sure Australia has this protection. Not IO trust the Government. But if you are denied health coverage by an insurance company you will be the new CEO of that company.

But again its a private choice as far as DNA goes.

These tests look back centuries, and are not able to distinguish specific countries, only regions or races such a Gaelic.

I tested at Ancestry, Family Tree, and 23andMe and got vastly different results. All three agreed quite closely I was mostly Irish/British Isles (Gaelic) with results of 43%, 38%, and 39% respectively. But the Scandinavia results were another story yielding 33%, 12%, and 1%. Likewise "Europe West/Central" came in at 3%, 27%, and 42%, while "Europe South/Southeast" gave 19%, 22%, and
The only conclusions I could draw was that I am 100% western European with a Gaelic concentration. It also told me I have no Asian, African, or Native American blood, and plenty of Neanderthal (
My greatest benefit from the testing was finding unknown cousins and filling in a lot more information for my family tree. And since the tests found relatives on both my mother's and father's side they did eliminate the milkman theory.
55.gif

Update :

was talking to the wife and i asked her about this. to my surprise she told me that they found him a few years ago and she only found out recently also. He lives in SoCal and has come to visit the aunt. Apprarently was found by another cousin with the info the aunt had.

from what i am told they seem to be getting along ok. i think its great she has seen her son again before she passes.

My wife and I both did Ancestry last year...it was vaguely interesting, no real surprises, which I guess is probably a good thing.

On a tangential note, I had a friend whose grandfather had been a salesman for decades, and traveled for business. Well, he had a heart attack, which he lived through, but he had to tell his wife and kids in OH that he had another whole family in MO who would be wondering what became of him...could they please let the "other" family know he was ill but otherwise OK?!?

Can you imagine having that conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back