DMC Delorean good car or POS-prone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Company out of Houston "dmc of houston" makes restored Deloreans.

personally i love the gull wing design...and out side of an exotic Mercedes or Ferrari Deloreans seem quite affrodable.

What are the weakness' of this car? Does it suffer the same problem of most 80's car...ie its lifespan is nill?

Thanks - before i make a major financial plunder
smile.gif

PRV V6 is POS. Stainless steel is OK, but harder to maintain than most imagine. Car is slow, the doors and windows suck, but other than that it it's a piece of garbage.

PS Some people love them.
PSS Saw and article where a guy electrobrush plated the whole car with gold metal. That was cool.

IT has the typical 80s problems plus the problems you get with alimited production car built to a relatively low cost target using a hodge podge of off the shelf parts, like the Renault V6 engine.

That said, it's an interesting toy.

You should be able to find some forums dedicated to the car and see what the problems are.

As much as people like to knoc the quality of the big car makers products, expect it to be more problimatic than a high production car.

A friend of mine had one, he loved it but got tired of piddly problems and difficulties getting parts and he got rid of it.

Short version: It would be a fun car to have but don't get one unless you want an ongoing project as long as you have the car.

The guy in the Delorean Monster Garage episode said he has seen several Deloreans hit over 200,000 and one was something lke 300,000 miles.

In performance tests done back in '80-81, the biggest complaint was acceleration and handling. The engine was way underpowered, compounded by the heavy body......so was the handling. The problem was supposed to be fixed with a turbo engine......but before that could happen, John DeLorean got busted and his company went down in flames.
Let's remember Mr. DeLorean is the father of the GTO and he knew what it took to make a performance car for cheap.....he just didn't have the financial backing.

I heard somewhere that the odometers break often. Don't believe that creampuff was put in storage in 1983. I'd get a carfax on any prospectives first.
crushedcar.gif

If you're looking for a semi-exotic, why not a Bricklin? They were produced in 74-76 with safety in mind. The body style resembles a Delorean, but the Bricklin has a plastic/fiberglas body with roll cage, 5mph bumpers, 351W Ford engine, and an FMX Ford transmission. It can be serviced anywhere, and parts are as close as the local recycling yard or AutoZone.

This should be a vehicle that is reliable, easy to maintain, and that you can watch appreciate as you drive it......

There's one on eBay as we speak.....
smile.gif

My father had one and we just sold it a couple months ago after his pasting. He always had problems with it, wiring , fuel pump, etc. when ever he tried to go for a short ride, it would always let him down, and had to be towed to a shop. this happen many many times.
Please DON'T buy one unless you want to spend alot of time and money keeping ir runing.

crushedcar.gif

David

There is always the 70 to 74 Ford Pantara. 351W
and make sure there isn't any rust. Prices are not that bad on them YET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back