DIY professional-looking enamel painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys I need some expert opinion here. I have a control module (looks like a shoe box) for a kitchen exhaust fan. It's old and tired looking, but unfortunately the mfr doesn't sell a replacement anymore so I will have to repaint it. How do you get the hardened enamel look of kitchen appliances? I've used those $4 spray paint from Home Depot and they don't look very good. What's the secret?

Would those bathtub enamel repair kits work well?

Rustoleum has an aerosol epoxy appliance paint in appliance colors. I tried it on an old "mini" refrigerator door and was amazed at the results.

It is not a true epoxy because it is not two parts (paint/hardener). But it applied very well, leveled out to a glass smooth finish, and it seems to be harder than regular alkyd enamel.

I applied it in two or three coats, allowing it to flash a few minutes between coats. Apply just wet enough to flow out, but not too wet to run. I assume you know proper paint prep and application rules?

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-epoxy-spray-paint.aspx

Even the most basic rattle can paint will look much richer if you put a layer of clear over it. What ever paint you decide on, include a clear coat of the same formulation.

I also paint for a living.
Surface preparation is 80% of painting.
Pits, rust, nicks, etc. will show later if they are not smoothed out now. And kitchen grease is a killer. Prep is the key.
A primer is not always needed, but you may need it.
High gloss spray paint should be perfect. Use a number of coats - don't try and get it on all at once.
If the last coat is 'wet' it should dry nice and shiny.

I didn't expect you to cut both ears off...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back