DIY plug vs. prof patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I picked up a screw in a tire last night so today I set out to plug it. 3 plugs later and I'm not having any luck...the plugs keep glueing to the tire before I can get them in deep enough.
frown.gif
I've seen my mechanic use vaseline but I can't find any in the house. Is there anything else I can use? These are the square rubber plugs with tear off strips protecting the pre-glued areas. I've been yanking out the half installed plugs.

Steve

I ended up taking the tire in. It cost me 20 bucks plus tax to patch, balance, and reinstall a tire. They seem to have a flat rate deal with everything included rather than giving you a few options.
frown.gif

Steve

Like it was said before, a complete repair should be a plug and patch, or a combination plug/patch. You want the tire off the rim to have the inside inspected and make sure there's nothing loose inside the tire. A properly glued patch will seal the inner liner to reduce air loss. The plug should seal off the steel tread to reduce corrosion. The hole might even need to be drilled out for a better plug fit and to clean up sharp tread fragments.

I have used the "coated rope, swizzle stick, fat-cat" style several times for repair and had no issues. I just followed the instructions on the back of the kit, and used plenty of cement.

I had to plug a tire last weekend, after groaning when seeing a flat in the morning. I took it to Les Schwab as it was kind of close to the shoulder, and they said it wasn't too close, but they'd patch it from the inside as plugs were considered a temporary repair.

i ran plugged tires on my 4000lb BMW 740i before I sold it. It ran fine, for everyday use I would trust the plugs.

But on a vehicle that sees high speed or sharp corners like that of a weekend track racer. Go with the patch.

quote:

Where is it legal to drive when you cannot hear? It's a prerequisite to hear and have 20/40 vision in order to drive.

Well, the excerpt below may answer that question partially. Anyway, it's not only that deaf peole might miss it but those loud music lovers wouldn't hear a thing either.

Legal restrictions on car driving by the deaf:

Israel (as of 1993)
Deaf drivers of private cars must have:
1. Have panoramic mirror in car.
2. Have outside mirror.

Japan (as of 1984)
Must be able to hear (by any means) the sirens of ambulances and clear the way to them.

USA - Oregon (as of 1984)
Must have outside mirror on the car's left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back