DIY Oil Blending (Delvac 1 + Redline)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any "additive clash" in blending Delvac 1 + Redline? What do you look for in the VOA section to determine suitability for backyard blending?

I've read multiple posts where Delvac 1 is being blended with Redline. I'm thinking that will give the Delvac a nice healthy dose of Moly. I guess Delvac 1 is deficient in Moly because Cummins needs more "grit" for their roller cams, but for regular cams the Moly should help.

Is a blend of Delvac 1 and Redline really a "marriage made in heaven"?

I think Redline's 15W40 is probably better than Delvac 1. But the two blended in a
1 to 5 ratio (as per the previous post that Davefr referred to) is an interesting proposition.

Edit: A 1 to 5 ratio should give Delvac 1 a 100 ppm or better dose of moly.

I would certainly send in a VOA of the brew to Terry Dyson. He has a lot of experience in analyzing a wide range of "brews."

[ April 10, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

FM's are not really discouraged for diesels. I have been exploring and researching this topic for some time. The facts are, the valve train design in a diesel DOES NOT really need a Friction Modifier as much as would a flat tappet, DOHC, and other direct contact valve train systems found in gas engines.

What the diesel's really need is a whopping dose of Anti-Wear additives and boo-ku dispersant/detergents. There is trade-off here as with any formulation. Save the cost of adding extra friction modifiers and trade it for a higher dose of ZDDP or Moly.

For Delvac 1 and Redline, there is ALREADY a built in friction modifier for some slightly extra mileage and less heating, and that's the base oil's ESTERS. Esters are some of the best FM's around. It is inaccurate to be telling people that Delvac 1 has no FM's.

And I don't know how many threads I have to post this on, but both Redline and Schaeffer's use moly in their 15W40 HDD oils. Mobil has elected to use the Borate and Calcium Carbonate additives as added AW components in lieu of moly.

Mix away my friend. The probability of hurting anything by mixing oils from the same manufactuer is very low. Again I would stress that you check your mixes out by doing UOA's before adding them to the engine.

The key word is "cautious and verifiable experiementation."

[ April 10, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Dave,

My advice is to forget the blending nonsense unless you have a Phd in organic chemistry and work in this area. For a gas engine application, I like the new Redline 5w-40 over anything Mobil currently sells, including their 0w-40 "European Formula". For a diesel application, I think Mobil Delvac 1, 5w-40 is going to outperform the Redline 15w-40, particularly for long drain intervals.

Moly is only one of a number of antiwear additives and friction modifiers that may be used in formulating oil. The addition of moly will not turn an average oil into an excellent one ....The use of friction modifiers is generally discouraged by HD diesel engine manufacturers, hence you don't see it in Delvac 1, Delo 400, Rotella T, etc.

TooSlick

That is what I would call a synthetic blend !!!!!!two years ago I used 1qt redline and 4 qts m1 oil.Either oil is top of the line there is no reason to mix them other than to see if you notice an improvement . Won't hurt to mix oils as they are made to be compatible .

Sprintman,

The Series 3000 has always be intended as a "mixed fleet" oil for diesel and gas engines. That's one of the main reasons they formulated it in a 5w-30 grade. I have run it in my Tacoma for 21,000 miles and still saw very low wear rates. Also better performance and fuel efficiency than you'll see running a 5w-40/15w-40 diesel oil in a gas engine. (it meets the "energy conserving" designation) It's ACEA "A3/B3" rated ....

Sulphated ash of the Series 3000 is approx 1.5%, with oil consumption very low.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back