DIY Honda J35 timing belt replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brybo86
Odd this thread says it is really old but is the same as one from a few days ago...
Great timing as a just did the timing belt on our 2012 odyssey today.
111k on engine.
I order the aisin kit and Lisle heavy socket, new bando serp belt.

First I tried using my DeWalt electric impact wrench to remove the crankbolt. Nope
Then I tried a 2 ft breaker bar with 3 foot pipe... Pipe started nearly vertical and then I brought it down and touched the floor.... Nope didn't budge.

I went to HF and got the 1/2 earthquake xt , 1150 ft lbs breakaway torque. I connected it to my 4 gallon compressor. And it spun weaker and slower than my DeWalt electric wrench.

I was losing hope at this point.

Went to home Depot and bought 3/8 air hose fittings, I also removed the regulator and connected the air line directly to the compressor.

I could only do 1-2 second blasts followed by a 5 second wait time to let the compressor catch-up.

After about 6 tries it finally popped off.
I was extremely relieved.

The left/rear cam pulley was about 1/16 of an inch out when I went to replace the belt.
This must be common as I have seen other YouTube video where after removing the belt the rear cam is slightly out

I used a 17mm wrench and moved it in ever so slightly.

Moral of the story.... I'm asking SANTA for a 20gallon+ air compressor....and don't use those tiny 1/4 fittings

I recently used this Milwaukee M18 to break an Accord crank bolt - 185 ft/lbs per factory spec. Never turned before:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...W-Pin-Detent-Tool-Only-2860-20/300955532

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Odd this thread says it is really old but is the same as one from a few days ago...
Great timing as a just did the timing belt on our 2012 odyssey today.
111k on engine.
I order the aisin kit and Lisle heavy socket, new bando serp belt.

First I tried using my DeWalt electric impact wrench to remove the crankbolt. Nope
Then I tried a 2 ft breaker bar with 3 foot pipe... Pipe started nearly vertical and then I brought it down and touched the floor.... Nope didn't budge.

I went to HF and got the 1/2 earthquake xt , 1150 ft lbs breakaway torque. I connected it to my 4 gallon compressor. And it spun weaker and slower than my DeWalt electric wrench.

I was losing hope at this point.

Went to home Depot and bought 3/8 air hose fittings, I also removed the regulator and connected the air line directly to the compressor.

I could only do 1-2 second blasts followed by a 5 second wait time to let the compressor catch-up.

After about 6 tries it finally popped off.
I was extremely relieved.

The left/rear cam pulley was about 1/16 of an inch out when I went to replace the belt.
This must be common as I have seen other YouTube video where after removing the belt the rear cam is slightly out

I used a 17mm wrench and moved it in ever so slightly.

Moral of the story.... I'm asking SANTA for a 20gallon+ air compressor....and don't use those tiny 1/4 fittings

I recently used this Milwaukee M18 Fuel to break an Accord crank bolt - 185 ft/lbs per factory spec. Never turned before:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...W-Pin-Detent-Tool-Only-2860-20/300955532

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back