DIY Drill bit sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like to criticize, but your drill bit looks like some of the mistakes I've made, to wit. You may have had the drill motor at top speed before you had the bit on the work, and the hard bit chipped when it hit the work. Cyro treated bits are normally very tough. What are you drilling?

I agree with 2cool. When drilling, almost everyone starts TOO FAST. Just remember speed kills. Slow the bit down, steady feed pressure so that you are pulling a "string" of metal. A good bit will do it on both sides.

You can hand sharpen a bit with a good file, if you don't have a grinder. If using a grinder, be careful not to get the bit too hot.

2cool is correct, cryo bits are usually very tough. Google it.

drill doctor works well....i use it all the time....sharpening on the bench grinder does work but you will ruin a bunch of bits and waste allot of time before you get it right.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
For all the restoration you do, I would expect a bench grinder in your garage. Mine has a grinding stone on one side and a wire wheel on the other. The wire wheel comes in handy to remove corrosion and gunk on threaded fasteners and brake hardware. Make sure you get the fine wire wheel.

I have the same set-up with a cheap 6" motor. My brother welded me up a neat 3 legged pedestal. I use it often for mower blade sharpening and cleaning/grinding.
To me, bit sharpening is an art as others have said. When my bits get dull I just push harder...
thumbsup2.gif
,then replace bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back