DIY Dispacement-on-Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
zaedock, given youre example of a firing order which goes 1-2-3-4-5-6, if you disconnected 1 3 and 5 the new firing order would be 0-4-0-6-0-2-0-4-0-6-0-2-0-4-0-6-0-2-0 and so on, skipping every other dead cylinder. in this case, 0 means a deactivated cylinder.

it wouldnt be as smooth as having all 6 running at once, but an evenly spaced number of dead cylinders would be alot better than just disconnecting 1 2 and 3 and having 4-5-6-0-0-0-4-5-6-0-0-0 etc.

just out of my own c7riocity i went out and made a video of me pulling 2 injector wires so as to gauge the possibility of this actually being practical to drive. this isnt a fuel economy test, or a performance test.

heres the video. http://users.adelphia.net/~smithjoe/deadcylinders.wmv

you guys think i should go ahead and pop the cam cover off and remove the lifters that go on the 2 cylinders which i disconnected the injectors on?

i could make another video of it.

Master ACiD
Member # 9808
posted February 02, 2006 12:50 AM
"zaedock, given youre example of a firing order which goes 1-2-3-4-5-6, if you disconnected 1 3 and 5 the new firing order would be 0-4-0-6-0-2-0-4-0-6-0-2-0-4-0-6-0-2-0 and so on, skipping every other dead cylinder. in this case, 0 means a deactivated cylinder.

it wouldnt be as smooth as having all 6 running at once, but an evenly spaced number of dead cylinders would be alot better than just disconnecting 1 2 and 3 and having 4-5-6-0-0-0-4-5-6-0-0-0 etc. "

Dude, I know what it would run like. I'm not retarded (actually, I'm ASE certified). You would be killing 1/2 the engine (i.e. one whole "bank" of cylinders) with 3 pistons and rods flailing around doing nothing. Here's a quote from the guys website : "it will run smothly from speeds of 30mph to 80mph as long as theres no steep inclines, it runs smooth as heck on the highway you cant even tell theres a difference at all!!"

Smooth and no difference? I'll stick to my previous statement that he's full of crap.

cheers.gif

Newbe here, seems like a very informative forum.

At first I was pretty sure this guy was blowing smoke. But I read the rest of the string. He has the weight down under 2500 lbs. and is running no cat or muffler. I don't think I would want to drive it, but he may not be as far out in left field as he first appears on the mileage. There is an air compressor company (Grimmer-Schmidt I think) that uses Ford 302 and 351 V8's and replaces one head with a special compressor head and drives it with the other 4 Cylinders. They run just fine. There was an article in Mother Earth news back in the 70's that showed how to turn a Chrysler 400 V8 into a 4 cyl., claimed a gain of 10 %, considering it only got 10 mpg before I wasn't impressed, but it supposedly ran just fine. The injection system he's working on squirts half of the cylinders at a time. as long as they're the right ones in the firing order it shouldn't run too bad.

No need to get flustered - and I don't recall anyone questioning anyone's back ground. If anything it's just to test out ideas and tame natural curiosity and so forth.

The two engines I've pondered in the past were both of an inline design, not a "v" or opposing, thus I don't see how things might get too uncomfortable (1,2,3,4 = 1,X,3,X,1,X,3... or 1,2,3,4,5 = 1,X,3,X,5,X,2,X,4,X,1,X,3...). Will it be "baby smooth" or what not, probably not - likely not quite as much as with all cylinders firing (
dunno.gif
honestly). Less power, yes.

I've also learned from others in the distant past to try not to take everything someone says and says alone, as the whole truth. That said, the fellow in the link does leave more to be desired and so forth as many point out.

Dead cylinder activation is for cruise conditions, where steady and low average loads exists. Higher cruising speeds and towing are apt to null such operations because of the greater avarage load demand, which would be better served with all cylinders - again, a compromise - thinking as though engine longevity vs. fuel economy.

As far as a desire for anyone to attempt working out a conversion, we'll they may just have most of what they need already instead of an entirely new engine and control package (saving the green, you know what I mean?). On the other hand, if failure should arise with those testing clunkers, well the vehicles went out with an educational lesson for the rest to learn from (valuable to those who take notice). Some of us just like to tinker, and if that tinkering should happen to provide a benefit for them in the long run that's great.

Just remember what it's all about - having fun, learning, and seeing the day through to the next. Sounds goofy, but hey...

Oh, and
welcome.gif
LARKBILL.

[ February 02, 2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Curious Kid ]

I used to be an avid member of those forums. He is reputable, just not very literate. What he writes usually isn't exactly what he means. I believe him! :p

This is very cool!

He's revised his mpg figures down a bit due to an error in his math.

If this engine's firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, and in 3-cylinder mode #s 1, 3 and 5 are cut off, and we're using the typical numbering system for a "V" engine, then we're left with an I-3 with a 1-2-3 (#s 2-4-6 still functioning) firing order, right?

Who has experience with an I-3, and is/was its firing order 1-2-3?

XB70, a three cylinder doesn't really have a firing order.

it ends up 123, or 321, same diff.

An equal fire V-6 on one bank would approximate a three cyl.

Anyone seen the guy at Bonneville running an SBC with only 4 pistons installed to get under 200c.i. ?

The firing orders I gave for the 4 and 5 cylinder engines are simplified to help convey the process, otherwise one might get confused.

I have read that a 5-cyl's harmonics prevent it from running smoothly, and interestingly enough account for increased bearing surface area for the mains (volvo, http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Volvo_Books/faqeng.html , answer to the sixth question in the "Turbo and Exhaust" section).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back