DIY Blood Pressure monitoring kit recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to monitor my own blood pressure at home, rather than trying to stop by the little monitoring kiosk in my local drug stores, etc.

I looked on Amazon and there's a ton of blood pressure monitoring kits, and I have no idea how to pick one.

I'm hoping one of my fellow BITOG members might have a suggestion as to which specific kit you have and like and / or any other words of wisdom?

smile.gif

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ed

I use Caretouch model PSW01. Easy to use. It was recommended by my friend's son, who is an M.D.. When I got to the doctor, their sphygmomenometer shows the same numbers.

Originally Posted by Kestas
When I got to the doctor, their sphygmomenometer shows the same numbers.

It's good to compare and make sure it's close to a manual cuff reading before blindly accepting the numbers.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Get an old fashioned one with the ear peice and learn how to use it. https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/...=Paramed&ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_14699500011

thumbsup2.gif
That's probably the best way to go. I have digital monitor, and took it to my doctor to confirm accuracy. My father took his to his cardiologist and was told to throw it away! The doctor told me mine was slightly on the high side. Learning how to use the old fashioned monitor will yield the most accurate readings.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Get an old fashioned one with the ear peice and learn how to use it. https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/...=Paramed&ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_14699500011

Agree that this is better than the digital models. But be aware that these aneroid designs use a metal spring inside and that the spring fatigues after a few years of use. Then they have to be calibrated yearly thereafter. Mine read 10 mm Hg low after 4 years.

OMRON Blood pressure monitor. Owned one since 2010 purchased at Amazon, very accurate, reliable and easy to use. I've taken mine to my doctor from time to time with normal visits to confirm with his readings. Linked are two models very similar to mine. Of course you can choose one with more bells and whistles, but I've found the basic model to work fine. Occasionally Omron models can be caught on promo on deal sites like slickdeals. The 5 series was recently ~$24, though the regular price very reasonable imo. It's also the current model closest to mine. I would advise to stay away from wrist model monitors.

Omron 3 Series BPM

Omron 5 Series BPM

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I'd like to monitor my own blood pressure at home, rather than trying to stop by the little monitoring kiosk in my local drug stores, etc.

I looked on Amazon and there's a ton of blood pressure monitoring kits, and I have no idea how to pick one.

I'm hoping one of my fellow BITOG members might have a suggestion as to which specific kit you have and like and / or any other words of wisdom?

smile.gif

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ed

I think mine is an older model , similar to this one . Probably not the best , but good enough .

Best of luck to you , :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-BP200-Upper-Arm-Blood-Pressure-Monitor/5161742

I bought Omron 10; it matches the Doctor's office. Just make sure you use it correctly.
It also tracks your results, which you can jot down and give to your Doctor.

Good luck.

My Dr uses an Omron. I use an Ozeri at home. You'll find your BP will fluctuate a lot. Mine goes way up if I eat salty foods. And it's high in the morning. Losing 20 lbs and exercising daily has made it much lower and took me off meds.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
OMRON Blood pressure monitor. Owned one since 2010 purchased at Amazon, very accurate, reliable and easy to use. I've taken mine to my doctor from time to time with normal visits to confirm with his readings. Linked are two models very similar to mine. Of course you can choose one with more bells and whistles, but I've found the basic model to work fine. Occasionally Omron models can be caught on promo on deal sites like slickdeals. The 5 series was recently ~$24, though the regular price very reasonable imo. It's also the current model closest to mine. I would advise to stay away from wrist model monitors.

Omron 3 Series BPM

Omron 5 Series BPM

+1

I've taken mine to the Dr. office, checked spot on with his equipment.

Also, I've seen the manual method misread also, humans make mistakes.

Electronic bp devices read high, that is why cardiologists use manual measurement. Getting representative readings is tricky and most medical personnel do it incorrectly. British hypertension society recommends taking multiple readings and when it does not change, that is the most accurate. They, and most practitioners, recommend disregarding the first reading because it is typically inaccurate.

I have the Omron 5 Series and it seems to work well. Replaced an old Omron (about 15 years old) and reads the same on both, guess it was still good. Tested it against the doctor's numbers and was within 1-2 points. I have just heard to stay away from the wrist meters because they aren't accurate.

The Omron recording unit ('IT'?) is good, but our LCD went out.

Replaced with a Beurer BM 55, which also records.

Don't think that the Dr/nurse/you will get more accurate results with anemometer and stethoscope, it's also prone to user variations. (How good is their hearing? Did they place the cuff exactly the same place?)

Yeah but they do this every day all day for years 1000s of time. It's more about correct prep procedure before readings. I've researched this extensively for a family member and spoke to research doctors in industry and my takeaway is that manual is much better than machine if done correctly. Machines are used to save insurance $$$ by using sem trained office techs and for screening. I much rather use manual and not be prescribed unneeded and harmful meds. Big Pharma loves those machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back