Dixie Cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have anyone tried these: http://www.fueleconomytuneup.com/
Or heard about someone who has?

It would be grat if only the ones that fit into the criterias, mentioned above, would answer.

It is of no interest if someone who has his own ideas about it, without having tested it, want to express his thoughts.
Thanks

Sounds like a scam to me... but I haven't tested it myself so I can't judge them.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, and that is why it would be nice if someone who has some actual experience with them, could reply.
In that way, at least members here, wouldn't have to spend any time or money on it.

Oh no I agree with you... I was just saying what I thought as a first impression after reading their website. It wasn't convincing to me, but like I said I can't judge because I don't have real world experience from it. But it does have a look/feel like other "Fuel saver" scams out there... That's all.

I'm happy you posted this in case we can find someone on BITOG who has used it and can tell us whether it works/doesn't.

thumbsup2.gif

Has the EPA tested it? One of their few useful tasks has been debunking scams. I figure that if they ever find one that works, it will quickly be required.

problem is there is no real, controlled test.

Some person checking their fuel economy tank to tank would very well loose any real data in the noise - it is not a controlled test, and you need a very large (not practical or likely) increase to really discern through the noise.

This is interesting because it isnt some flow scheme or attempt to trick an ECU or whatnot. It seems that it is just improving upon the engineering already present to ensure a better operational characteristic from the injector design. Maybe that is real, maybe not...

My thought is after having worked for both Nissan and Toyota and having some interesting conversations with their engineers, is that if they could get a 1% increase on their CAFE mpg numbers just by installing some $0.25 capacitors from radio shack in the injector wiring harness it would have been OEM standard since the late 90's.. The factory engineers are very bright people and they would kill each other over an idea that would gain 1% so I think that is the answer to your question.

I just e-mailed my brother who is an engineer and worked for Toyota the last 2 summers before going to MIT to work in their Engine Efficency lab. I will see what he has to say about this.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
It is of no interest if someone who has his own ideas about it, without having tested it, want to express his thoughts.

Too bad.

It's a simple bypass cap, nothing more. It will slightly increase turn on and turn off times, effectively increasing the deadtime, which is a bad thing for anyone into high performance. They make no distinction between high-z and low-z injectors, but this effect would be MUCH higher on high-z injectors, and would time shifting the spray pattern later, assuming the injector pulse is current limited. If it's not, this could actually be very hard on a high-z system, as you'd have more inrush current than the system is set up for.

If someone has a good explanation on how they would work to increase fuel economy, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of any, at this point.

Originally Posted By: jonny-b

It would be grat if only the ones that fit into the criterias, mentioned above, would answer.

I'm going to guess that most of the people that frequent a forum such as this wouldn't be suckered into them.

Common sense would tell us that a simple capacitor that achieves 1-6 MPG increase would have the automotive industry fawning over it.

Snake oil salesmen are still alive and well in the 21st century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back