Distribution: Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We see that Mobil 1 is the most widely used oil, at least for synthetic. Would Amsoil be just as widely used if it were available in every Auto Part Store, Walmart, etc?

This is just a thread about distribution, not which oil is better!

I think Amsoil would sell more to some degree, but not for $9-$11qt! I think the whole API issue would bug a few, like it does now, and Amsoil still isn't as widely known as Mobil 1, so in these cases, I don't see it selling as much as Mobil 1. Amsoil also could never match Mobil 1's price. Amsoil is buying additives/base stocks from other companies like EM. It's hard enough to get many people to buy Mobil 1 at $4qt so anything beyond that is a tough sell for the mass market IMO.

[ March 29, 2004, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I agree w/BUSTER, But I will still buy Amsoil over Mobil 1. Why, I beleive it is better and it looks better in the numbers when you compare it totally by the numbers..

Amsoil is one of the cheapest oils (in cost, not quality) if you go through the math for the extended oil change at 25K miles. Amsoil also warranties the engine if its damaged by their oil/filter changing the oil at 25K.

Then there is the 300-400 million gallons of used motor oil to contend with per year because people change their oil earlier than necessary.

The 25K mile change is widely regarded as a myth. Amsoil tells you to change twice per year or 25,000 miles with six month filter changes. My UOA for regualr ATM 10W-30 was ugly just after six months and 6,000 miles. I can't imagine what it would look like after one year.

Very few folks run 25,000 miles in a year and there are still questions whether or not Amsoil really holds that long.

quote:

Originally posted by Donald:
Amsoil is one of the cheapest oils (in cost, not quality) if you go through the math for the extended oil change at 25K miles. Amsoil also warranties the engine if its damaged by their oil/filter changing the oil at 25K.

At the same time, Mobil 1 has proven itself to be able to handle long drains just as well as Amsoil, and costs less too. It's wear numbers are higher in some engines though, but nonetheless, Mobil 1 is still a top notch long drain oil.

"widely regarded as myth" "very few folks run 25000 miles on a change"
Both those statements are totally false. Not sure if you have talked to more than 10 people to come up with them or not.
Amsoils customers and dealers have been using the ONCE a year (not twice in your statement, perhaps a typo?) changes, since 1973 in a proper running engine. There is NO question that the 25000 interval works or they wouldnt have been doing it for over 30 years right?
They have stood behind their product, they have revolutionized the oil industry and they have lead the field in new products.
Another statement above said that at $9 a quart Amsoil wont sell much more product if on the shelf at Walmart. Amsoil has their long standing 100% syn that retails for $5.85 which is nearly HALF of what was mentioned. There is a new series 2000 product at $8.50 a quart but is not required for a majority of consumers. Most can get along with the $5.85 quart oil just fine.
Debate is fun but facts MUST be honest before they are stated. Be fair and factual or dont make the comments.

[ March 30, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Click ]

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:

My guess is that AMSOIL is probably second in total gallonage of synthetics, well behind Mobil 1.

Thank you for getting this thread back on-topic.

Amsoil is way behind Castrol and most other off-the-shelf synthetics in total gallons sold, even Wally's Super Tech brand. MLM may make a good profit for a few in the limited distribution chain, but you cant beat the mass market for building sales volume.

quote:

Originally posted by Click:
"widely regarded as myth" "very few folks run 25000 miles on a change"
Both those statements are totally false. Not sure if you have talked to more than 10 people to come up with them or not.
Amsoils customers and dealers have been using the ONCE a year (not twice in your statement, perhaps a typo?) changes, since 1973 in a proper running engine. There is NO question that the 25000 interval works or they wouldnt have been doing it for over 30 years right?
snip....

I am really feeling squeezed by the price of Pennzoil now. Maybe it is time to rethink new dino every 3 months. Now owned by Shell, OPEC, etc., I see only higher yet prices. With my wife's new job and losing a member of her car pool, the dino is going to see more and more miles, and every other week the car will be getting a good warm up twice a day.

I went looking at the UOA's and didn't see many 12mo/25K posts. Can I really do this? Where are the numbers?

Some folks like to exist with their heads in the sand too, like kids holding their fingers in their ears and repeating "I cant hear you" over and over.
Call it blah blah blah if you want, those with open minds that can follow directions, enjoy 25000 mile or one year drain intevals and save money over dino oils all the time. Its not hype, its just fact.
Regarding warranties, since every batch of oil produced by every oil maker is of record in their labs. The oil wont go into a can if its not meeting specs. I find it very unlikely M1 or Amsoil or any oil maker will have to pay on any warranty claim, since an engine failure will most likely be mechanical in nature, or the owner didnt follow maintance procedues properly.
People try to sneak things under warrenty all the time in hopes of not being discovered. An independent lab test of an oil will only confirm the true story of what happened. Its when folks dont like the test results that they throw barbs at the manufacturer.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
As for Amsoil's warranty, you better hope you'll never need it. I suspect it would be easier to fly to Mars than getting a nickel from Amsoil.

I disagree. I had a bad UOA due to the Power Foam use and had to change the oil early. I wrote Amsoil and requested replacement oil, filter and oil analysis. A few days later, a box with 6 qts oil, filter and the oil analysis kit arrived at my door. No cost.

I think that you may have to have your "ducks in a row" to get help, but try to get anything ($) out of Mobil. (Remember what happened in Alaska a few years ago???)

Cheers, Doug

Hard to tell if Amsoil would sell on the shelf at Wal-Mart. One thing I can tell you... if it was the "Series 2000" stuff, very few uninformed consumers would pick up a 0W30. But if they had an oil in 5W30 or 10W30 selling at $9/qt, they would probably sell to all the consumers who believe that the most expensive product is always the best product.

I agree and then you have to ask yourself, am I getting the extra performance for $4 difference in cost? Right now-NO! GC beats the **** out of S2k 0w-30 and costs 50% less.
shocked.gif

And if your car is under warrantee and something in the engine breaks, you won't get crap from the dealer or mfgr either (especially about going 25K miles between changes).

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I agree and then you have to ask yourself, am I getting the extra performance for $4 difference in cost? Right now-NO! GC beats the **** out of S2k 0w-30 and costs 50% less.
shocked.gif

My guess is Amsoil can make more money with their current sales with distributers. If they went mass market now, they would have to sell just above cost to be competative in the stores.

I hardly ever see another dealer...they were all all run out of town.

Buster - While I agree GC is cheaper than S2K, why do you say; "GC beats the **** out of S2k 0w-30...." ?

I actually use neither and stick with Amsoil standard PAO full syn's. I'm so much in love with the price and performance of the 15W-40, it's hard to switch....I do have the 10W-40 and LC in the wife's 850.

Mobil 1 is available, and advertised, world wide.
AMSOIL is a very small company, with sales that have probably doubled over the past three years.
My guess is that AMSOIL is probably second in total gallonage of synthetics, well behind Mobil 1.

Mobil will cut prices of Mobil 1. The franchised Mobil station owners often go to Costco or WalMart to purchase their Mobil 1, because it is much higher when brought to them by the Mobil distributer.

Sure, Mobil 1 costs $5, or a bit less, per quart at the discount store. Shop owner told me the other day that the list price was over $11 a qt.
in Europe, runs $15-20 a qt (lots of taxes).
Mobil offered a nearby shop using AMSOIL $35K to change----

AMSOIL won't discount prices, and does protect its dealers. So, you won't see it at WalMart, K-Mart, Advance Auto, etc.

Far as availability, obviously far more stores have Mobil 1 on the shelf, although not all carry all viscosities or other products.
AMSOIL products can be delivered to the door, in most cases within 1 to 3 days (in CONUS, anyhow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back