Distance to empty

Hello

'15 Hyundai Santa Fe, 88,XXX miles.

When we first got the car about 3 years ago, after filling up, the distance to empty was always around 425, 430 miles or so. Now, after filling up, it's typically around 350 miles. Any idea why the decrease? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

Hello

When we first got the car about 3 years ago, after filling up, the distance to empty was always around 425, 430 miles or so. Now, after filling up, it's typically around 350 miles. Any idea why the decrease? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

You are telling us that you drive this vehicle to where the gas gauge hits E, you realize if your fuel pump is in the gas tank that you should not go below one fourth a tank of gas.

Have your driving patterns changed?

Distance to empty is estimated based on recent fuel economy, so if you're doing more short tripping/city driving nowadays, the DTE will be lower. But if you go on a long hwy trip and then fill up, you should see higher DTE.
Does it even on trips where it's all highway.

I do wonder if my O2 sensor is going bad? No check engine light yet.

You are telling us that you drive this vehicle to where the gas gauge hits E, you realize if your fuel pump is in the gas tank that you should not go below one fourth a tank of gas.
I didn't say I let it get to E. Anecdotally, I filled up last night even though I still had half a tank because I was passing my favorite station.

I didn't say I let it get to E. Anecdotally, I filled up last night even though I still had half a tank because I was passing my favorite station.
Ok, I see what you are saying, you do realize that with winter gas you do lose some mileage.

How are your mpg numbers? Have they deteriorated?

Say your tank holds 14 gallons. If you run it down to the half mark is it fairly close to 7 gallons to refill it?

Do you overpump?

On my Elantra the miles to empty are displayed digitally on the dash when I fill up.

Hello

Thanks.
At 88k you're getting due for plugs, if GDI engine you should also clean the intake valves.

Is this just what the computer is saying or your actual mileage?

With both my 15' Sonata and 15' Genesis, the distance to empty reading when I would first fill it was always way too optimistic. I'd go tank after tank after tank of 350-360 miles to completely empty, fill it up and it would say I've got like 450 miles on the distance to empty. Once it got down to 2/3 or so it was more accurate.

What is your over the lifetime MPG? Did you replace some stock crapo tires and put ones that actually have traction on it?

Distance to empty is a turd measurement.

What is your over the lifetime MPG? Did you replace some stock crapo tires and put ones that actually have traction on it?

Distance to empty is a turd measurement.
One more useless thing to obsess over .

Ok, I see what you are saying, you do realize that with winter gas you do lose some mileage.
This! This is exactly what is going on.

The remaining distance when filling up is purely based on your driving over the previous 50 km or so. Colder weather, winter gas means you are getting worse FE, so indicated mileage till empty after fill up is lower.

One more useless thing to obsess over .

It’s not a obsession unless one makes it one. It’s a simple number that give you a reference that comes in handy when you need it. I would use it a general reference and not rely on it for accuracy.

Hello

Thanks.
This! This is exactly what is going on.

The remaining distance when filling up is purely based on your driving over the previous 50 km or so. Colder weather, winter gas means you are getting worse FE, so indicated mileage till empty after fill up is lower.

There is no way winter blend fuel caused a 60-70 miles drop in calculated range. My Jeep went from about 15.6 this summer to 14.2 when the freeze set in, which equates to a drop from 312 miles of range to 284. 28 miles lost. Something else is going on.

Back