Dispersants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Bobbers, I mix delvac 15w40 with mobil clean 5k 5w20 to arrive at the right CsT for different engines that I maintain.

I have noticed that the 3.8 Buick and the 5.7 hemi both like 5w30 weight just judging by smoothness of idle once hot. I recently found out that only HDEO has a high dispersant package for keeping soot in solution.

I like to mix to get the right weight but don’t want to compromise on dispersants.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 5w20 and 15w40 that has the highest level of dispersants?

dparm asks a valid question here.

You did not identify the vehicle, engine, or whether it is gas or diesel.

Diesel formulations sometimes contain high levels of metallic dispersants, whereas most gas engine oils contain ashless dispersants.

Either oil should have the correct amount of dispersants.

However, I would never select or blend an oil based solely on seat-of-the-pants perceptions but follow the manfacturers recommendation for oil viscosity and type and UOA's.

Last edited:
I maintain like 7 vehicles and about 6 other engines...I am looking to have a simple solution using some great experiances I have had with delvac but realizing that it is just too thick for all the different engines hense the mobil clean..same family (EM) but want the best choice for blending with delvac

You are thinking too much beyond the box. Use Rotella T and be done with it.

Your calculations give you viscosity when you first pour it in. What about 500 miles latter? 5000 latter?

I would just use the mobile clean 5 30 in the gas engines and the diesel oil in the diesel. much easier to keep up with than mixing.

You live in the Gulf coast? If the cars and trucks you maintain live is a somewhat favorable environment I would use a dual rated 15W40 such as Delvac or a 5W40 like Rotella T-6 or Mobil TDT and call it a day. I am sure you have other maintenance items that need to be attended to and worked out.

Hmmmmmm ... someone is trying to reverse-engineer a lube, as if he/she knew more than all the tribologists and statistitians in a multi-billion dollar industry ... Regardless of the folly, I'll say this:

You are going about this backwards. You have told us nothing of the nature of all the vehicles you maintain or the conditions that surround them.

Are they all gassers?
Do you have any diesels?
Any alternative fuels?
Are they all liquid cooled? Some air-cooled?
What are your OCI plans?
What operating environment?
What applications? (vehicular travel, farm equipment, stationary equipment, lawn equipment?)
What grades are spec'd for all your applications?
Etc.?

You're looking for a one-size-fits-all lube that may or may not exist. You are essentially looking for a compromise of many characteristics. I find it interesting, and a bit foolish, to think that you've set forth on mixing up fluids, and are only asking for advice after the fact. You indicate that you are mixing fluids to "arrive at the right cSt" for your different engines. Please explain exactly what viscosity you have determined to be perfect and how you came about that conclusion.

What you "want" and what you "need" are likely worlds apart.

What makes you think that high-quality dino PCMOs don't have the correct amount of dispersants for your applications? What makes you think that only HDEOs will suffice? To what end are you proceeding that either a PCMO or HDEO cannot achieve individually? You seem to want to be able to create a magical fluid; it may or may not be able to be done. Or, more likely, there is already a lube out there that will suffice. Are you willing to consider the fact that there is probably a product already in a bottle on the shelf at W/M that will do a great job, with less grief and guessing than your witches-brew?

I'll concede that what you are currently doing probably isn't hurting anything. But it's probably not achieving anything special in terms of real unique capabilities, either. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do that something, or that there is any tangible benefit to doing that something.

Stop. Regroup. Reconsider. Analyze. Research. Decide.
Then act.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: starvin_sgt
I maintain like 7 vehicles and about 6 other engines...I am looking to have a simple solution using some great experiances I have had with delvac but realizing that it is just too thick for all the different engines hense the mobil clean..same family (EM) but want the best choice for blending with delvac

If you're keeping two oils in stock anyhow (a 15w-40 and a 5w-20 for instance), keep in mind that Delvac is available in a 10w-30, if that's your rough target.

I went thru all this looking for a "one size fits all" oil for a fleet of gas & diesel trucks, diesel tractors, passenger car and small engines. It took over a year to figure it all out more or less scientifically. If you are interested enough, go back about two years in my posts and you can see it all transpire.

The range of oils I was replacing ran from 5W20, 5W30 and 15W40. I decided on Rotella T5 10W30 in the end. It met all the viscosity requirements except for one engine (the Ford Modular V8)... and a little experimentation yielded that it wasn't too far out into the ozone for that app. It's not optimal in all cases, so I gained a little efficiency in some applications and lost a little in others but overall I stayed within the mfrs viscosity specs for everything (except the one 5W20 app.).

I put a lot of energy into it and it was a great learning experience but the effort of verifying and validating it all was probably more than just stocking a couple of different oils. After the fact, I can see a couple of different alternatives to the one I took.

Man I wish I could find a local source for 10w30 Delvac! The only 10w30 for HDEO is Rotello if I "cut it" with MMO or just a little 5w20 that would work but @$11 delvac 15w40 is a great value

Thanks I will review what you did...this new Delvac is so smooth in the cummins 12v and also the old mercedes I will find it hard to go back to rotella

Originally Posted By: starvin_sgt
Man I wish I could find a local source for 10w30 Delvac!

No Mobil distributors around there? If you have the time and the patience, you may be able to find it at a service shop for trucks, or perhaps even a truck stop. Around here, to the best of my knowledge, I can get it at either a distributor or a certain local hardware store, of all places.

I would be interested in trying the Delvac 10w-30 as well, but it's a product I have never seen on the shelf anywhere. I could order it, but I'd pay a premium to have the priviledge of trying it.

Conversely, I've found conventional Rotella 10w-30 as a stocked item on the shelf at Rural King (farm supply), Menards (hardware chain), OReillys (auto parts). It's also available via WalMart (it has a corportae SKU and they can easily get it if you don't find it on the shelf with no "special order" mark-up). I can certainly attest to this lube's abilities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I would be interested in trying the Delvac 10w-30 as well, but it's a product I have never seen on the shelf anywhere. I could order it, but I'd pay a premium to have the priviledge of trying it.

At the hardware store, it's at a premium above Delvac 15w-40, though the store is overpriced in the first place. I'll have to check the Imperial Oil distributor one of these days. The Rotella 10w-30 isn't an easy find here, but it's out there, as is JD 10w-30.

My local Mobil distributor does not charge shipping on special orders (even though we are in Alaska!), as long as you order a certain amount. Which in the case of my order was 11 x 5 gal jugs, a small pallet load.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back