Dismantled, but brand new 2020 Ford Transit Connect....?

Some late 90s early 2000 VW Jetta and Golf made in Mexico had a problem with leaking coolant from a temp sender doing similar.
This was pretty much any MKIV all the way through 2005 - VW had a coolant level sensor in the overflow bottle and some of the sensors would allow the coolant to migrate through the harness. Some reports of owners finding coolant in the dang tail light plugs. DIY fix was to drill a small weep hole into the coolant sensor plug.

Too bad they couldn't have just RTV'd or similar sealed the existing connections and when the new ones came in have you bring it back for the permanent repair.
yeah, then they'd be able to charge me double the labor! glad they didn't think of that. I'd like to not give them ALL of the $1400 Grampa Joe sent me!
if this repair is only $475, that's $681 they'll have gotten.

Also of note, Ford will not pay for rodent damage under warranty. So that is either a sold unit being paid for by the customer or their insurance, or an internal repair being paid for by the dealer. Now there is a chance where this could have been discovered during the PDI and it was less than 48 hours after delivery to the dealer where Ford might pay.

Then, best guess is that it is an internal repair. According to the window sticker, which is still in the window, this dealer ordered and took delivery of this unit, sometime after the 10/14/2019 date shown at the bottom of the window sticker.

yeah, then they'd be able to charge me double the labor! glad they didn't think of that. I'd like to not give them ALL of the $1400 Grampa Joe sent me!
if this repair is only $475, that's $681 they'll have gotten.
Got it back yesterday morning, (they called right as mom and i were on our way out of town to get her a new sewing machine)
Ended up at $575...they also found the Aux coolant pump (near the heater core) wasn't coming on, but diagnosed it as just a blown fuse, or tripped breaker...?
so they got $781 of my $1400...darn. I guess i did my part to stimulate the economy?

on the way home, I noticed I had a front turn signal out, and this car is one of those where you remove the whole light assembly to change any of the bulbs, so I went ahead and changed ALL the bulbs up front. Sidemarker, indicators, Highbeam, Lowbeam, and Fogs. (remove the light assembly, and the fogs are literally right there underneath. )
and the wipers. ( had all these parts laying around waiting for a warm day.) tomorrow - while i'm in Columbus visiting a friend, i have an oil change appointment with AAA. $42.99 for members, Havoline synthetic, and Napa Gold filters.) and sometime in the next couple weeks, cabin filter on both the C-max, and Dad's Escape.

Gmc dealer I test drove a vehicle at recently said they had 5 vehicles waiting for parts due to rodent damage on wiring over the winter. Salespeople are waiting for them as they are in demand units- now. Apparently not so much this winter....

A farmer told me one time about a combine that had mice chew up the wiring. Evidently there is tons of wiring on a combine and they are impossible to repair. They totaled it out. Mice can really wreck wires. It appears to me there are a lot of pieces removed from the vehicle that could have been re-installed easily instead of leaving them apart. My guess is the insurance company declared it a total loss and it's just sitting there or was an insurance buy back and they are using it as a parts vehicle as needed. You see a lot of weird torn apart or damaged vehicles in the back of car lots, repair shops, and auto body shops. Let us know if you ever find out the true story behind this vehicle.

Even MB in the 90s had a similar issue.
Heck, going back to the early 80's Volvo also had "bio-degradeable" engine harnesses that would fail prematurely.
Mercedes wiring attracted rodents because they went "green" and started using insulation made from soybean oil. I guess everyone else has caught up.

I guess thats what they get for making wiring insulation out of "Fillet Mignon". I would think making wire insulation out "Ghost Peppers/Rank/Tart" (Ha Ha) would be a smart move......... But NO, we will make it out of "Fillet Mignon".

I guess thats what they get for making wiring insulation out of "Fillet Mignon". I would think making wire insulation out "Ghost Peppers/Rank/Tart" (Ha Ha) would be a smart move......... But NO, we will make it out of "Fillet Mignon".
Some animals can't taste the "heat" so it doesn't deter them from eating it. Birdseed has something like that that keeps away the competitors but the birds eat it with no issues.

I wonder, does something like fluid film prevent rodents from doing damage? The stuff makes an easy to grip metallic surface extremely gooey and slippery. It’s just a thought, but worth consideration in my mind. My vehicles are coated with a Hearty coat of slime, and despite seeing rodents intruding my garage, had never damaged my cars.

While Ford wont cover mice the dealers insurer will. The vehicle could have had damage, and further tear down revealed too much damage and the insurer totaled it. The problem is that there is not title if the vehicle is brand new just an MSO. The insurance company will have to get a salvage title before the claim can be paid, and that takes time. Happens all the time.

Last edited:
Back