Disk Failing?

I see you checked the fan and it's been quiet since cleaning.

You'll thank yourself for upgrading to an SSD, but don't discount a dirty or bad fan making some sort of a racket. Dying hard drive is its own distinctive sound that you won't mistake for anything else once you've heard it(unless you're into vintage computing where what a lot of folks call "about to die" is actually normal operation for a Quantum drive...and the computer sound of my childhood) but there are other thing in a computer that can make noise.
Still quiet after almost 3 weeks. Works well. This machine is one of several and I just use it for browsing and email. Not worth a new SSD. When it goes, it goes...

Still quiet after almost 3 weeks. Works well. This machine is one of several and I just use it for browsing and email. Not worth a new SSD. When it goes, it goes...

Glad that that did fix it.

Fans can be an obnoxious source of noise if they decide to go. Somewhere in storage here I have a PowerMac G4 with a fairly rare/valuable CPU upgrade(2ghz 7448) and I managed to kill one of the fans on top of the upgrade card with a stray screwdriver while it was running. I knocked a blade off. That was back when I still lived in my townhouse, and about 5 minutes after that happened(I was doing some benchmarking so just kept going while watching the temps) the neighbors knocked on the door to check on me. Fortunately it was a standard size fan and I have a replacement, I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

I have other fan/think it's dead stories that I'll spare for now, but if a noise is especially obnoxious or loud I tend to look there rather than at the hard drive.

Glad that that did fix it.

Fans can be an obnoxious source of noise if they decide to go. Somewhere in storage here I have a PowerMac G4 with a fairly rare/valuable CPU upgrade(2ghz 7448) and I managed to kill one of the fans on top of the upgrade card with a stray screwdriver while it was running. I knocked a blade off. That was back when I still lived in my townhouse, and about 5 minutes after that happened(I was doing some benchmarking so just kept going while watching the temps) the neighbors knocked on the door to check on me. Fortunately it was a standard size fan and I have a replacement, I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

I have other fan/think it's dead stories that I'll spare for now, but if a noise is especially obnoxious or loud I tend to look there rather than at the hard drive.
Just wondering, but what does the neighbor have to do with this tale? LOL

Odd thing happened. Blew duster air into exhaust port near fan, a little dust ball flew out air intake and the creaky ratcheting noise quit. I replaced that fan about a year ago and am surprised it had dust in it so quick. I still think the disk is the culprit but can't argue with the lack of noise.

That is what I said in Post #4, not exactly failed but it is closed. LOL!!!

Back