Dishwashing liquid oil??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings fellow oilers.
I have to share this with someone. And I know that only you, my fellow Bitogers, will understand. Keep in mind, I'm from the south, as is my brother, and we both got stuck in the '60's. This information might aid in translation. The following story is not made up - it really happened.

Yesterday, my brother and I were busy cleaning out my Dad's old barn. Among all the debris and rusty metal, we found a thirty gallon barrel of used motor oil. I told my brother,

"hey man, we'll put this oil in five gallon buckets and carry it over to be recycled."

"No way man," says my brother. "Man, this nasty burnt oil will destroy our clean buckets."

"Nah man," I reply, "you know the best thing to use to clean up after used oil?"

"No man, tell me" asks my brother with interest.

"Dawn, man." say I.

"Really man." he retorts.

"Hey man," says he, "did you know that's what they use in detergent motor oil?"

"No way man," is my reply, (having become a member of "BITOG," I am well ahead of this game). "Detergent motor oil has some serious chemicals and like, heavy duty solvents and stuff man."

"Man, you are wrong. Like, man, why do you think they call it 'detergent motor oil.'"

But I'm ready for this one, I mean, like, I've got my ducks in a row. "Hey man," I say, "like, that would create a tremendous amount of bubbles and suds."

To which he replies, "Man, that's why they use anti-bubbles."

"Brother," say I, "that dawgs just not gonna hunt! Why don't you go dump a bottle in your van right now."

"Man, I can't, it doesn't have the anti-bubble additive."

Friends, I began to weep openly. It's only now that I'm able to talk about it. I'm at a loss. What can I say???

Anti-bubble additve vs. anti-foaming agent

A rose by any other name
grin.gif

I keep a small bottle of Dawn by the sink just for washing up after working on the engine.

when I worked on a fishing boat we used Joy dishwashing detergent ..it worked better then Dawn ..we would sprey a 50 -50 mix of Joy and Water at any small diesel leak ..and it would sink it to the bottom of the harbour ....I am talking tablespoon size leaks here not enviromentally destroying size ,,

I'm imagining someone testing out a new super detergent, in a harbor somewhere, and as soon as it hits the water, an expanding circle of seabirds and ships start sinking as the surface tension gets destroyed.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
I'm imagining someone testing out a new super detergent, in a harbor somewhere, and as soon as it hits the water, an expanding circle of seabirds and ships start sinking as the surface tension gets destroyed.

O gawd I can just see the domino effect at a busy port. Priceless
lol.gif

I think in the late 70's most oil makers switched detergents from dawn to head and shoulders because of the increased zinc and less need for anti-bubble additive.

"I think in the late 70's most oil makers switched detergents from dawn to head and shoulders because of the increased zinc and less need for anti-bubble additive."

- No way man - it was "Celsin Blue." You can tell. When your motor tingles, you know it's working man.

Dudes, I've found that the best thing, far better than Auto-Rx, for keeping engines clean is to put a few ounces of Gojo in the crank case.
lol.gif
crushedcar.gif

On an off topic note (apologies to moderators), and no joke, working on an ecological research project in the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez), I found that Joy dish detergent makes for excellent salt water bathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back