Discrepancy with oil change…

Backstory: I have decided for the foreseeable future to have oil changes done instead of DIY. As such had an oil change and rotation done on the Toyota last month. The service invoice states Pennzoil Platinum 0w16 and Pennzoil PZ37 filter was used. The oil change was done a little less than a month and approximately 1000 miles ago.

Today: Out of curiosity I decided to get a look at the filter and oil level. The oil color appears normal for the milage (based on previous checks) so know it was actually changed. Seems “thick” for an 0w16… But I don’t know.

The oil filter is clearly an STP Extended Life Oil Filter not a Pennzoil. I’m not hung up on the discrepancy as the oil and filter was very clearly changed (OEM filter was on it prior.) Does make me wonder if the oil was actually Pennzoil 0w16 or bulk 0w20 or whatever… Doing 5K OCI as we do beat on the van pretty hard. The STP and some bulk synthetic should do just fine.

Once again, not wrapped around the axle on any of this… Just thought it was interesting

Attachments

• 3AAD2D2C-0D41-4DE9-B902-8DBBB0700CA4.jpeg
    3AAD2D2C-0D41-4DE9-B902-8DBBB0700CA4.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 88
  • D2BCB40B-1466-4261-B4F1-078ABC59DC4F.jpeg
    D2BCB40B-1466-4261-B4F1-078ABC59DC4F.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 86
-16 weight oil isn't that common so I wouldn't be surprised if a shop had to swap it with -20. I seriously doubt anyone can "feel" a difference between -16 and -20 weight oil either. Pennzoil just re-labels someone else's filters and I'll bet the STP is an equivalent filter. You say you change the oil every 5000 miles. That's a piece of cake for any quality motor oil today, even if it was conventional oil.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.

-16 weight oil isn't that common so I wouldn't be surprised if a shop had to swap it with -20. I seriously doubt anyone can "feel" a difference between -16 and -20 weight oil either. Pennzoil just re-labels someone else's filters and I'll bet the STP is an equivalent filter. You say you change the oil every 5000 miles. That's a piece of cake for any quality motor oil today, even if it was conventional oil.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.
It appears thicker but definitely no way I’m going to know for certain. It’s admittedly me just guessing.

I’m not worried about it in the least. 😁

Go down to the shop and talk to the service manager. You'll get an idea about the truth if they are helpful or if they get all defensive.

Worse thing about it wouldn't be their typical inept skills or ethical delinquency, but if they charged you based on Pennzoil prices.

Any chance this was done at a Firestone? They seem to buy everything from AutoZone, at least the ones around here.

I wonder if they were out of the billed items but substituted without amending the bill. Not saying this is kosher, but it happens.

Yep. Not stressing it. I’m sure the Yoda will survive
There have been a lot of oil shortages lately. And shortages on other items. So, the substitution doesn’t surprise me at all.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if something other than 0w16 went into the crankcase.

One of our local Toyota dealers had cases of O’Reilly 0W-16 stacked to the ceiling for backup.

Back