Discount Tire - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I purchased new tires for my Sequoia. I simply couldn't handle the Dunlop's that were on it and upgraded to Goodyear TripleTreads. As always, they worked with me to get a great price and had them installed in under 30 minutes. I was there during a slow period, but 28 minutes from agreeing on a price and getting my keys back was pretty impressive.

When I put the same tires on a Tundra at a Goodyear dealership, it took three hours!

Good to hear another satisfied DT customer. I've been a fan since purchasing Yoko Avid Touring's about 5-6 years ago.

Always been professional, quick and very competitive on price. And, service after the sale is second to none, IMO.

DT is great, but for some reason I can't swallow the price gap between them and Tire Rack...especially on the performance tires I end up buying. Some tires may be different however.

I've been buying from them for 20 years. always great customer service. they were also the only dealer that actually had trailer tires in stock when I needed them in an emergency (boat trailer stuck on side of road) Goodyear and Firestone dealers wanted to order them and wait 1-2 days. uh.... no!

regardless, I believe that DT will price match TR as long as u figure in shipping cost from TR

Originally Posted By: pzev
DT is great, but for some reason I can't swallow the price gap between them and Tire Rack...especially on the performance tires I end up buying. Some tires may be different however.

If you print out the Tire Rack price, they will match the "Tire Rack + shipping" price.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: pzev

If you print out the Tire Rack price, they will match the "Tire Rack + shipping" price.

Actually, I got them to match the TR price with shipping and then I had to pay a fee to mount them plus tax. Most places around here won't mount someone else's tires, DT will with a fee. I also took in a quote from eBay for Discount Tire Direct that is actually a different company officially and since he couldn't confirm the details he cut the TR shipping in half and called it even. I've bought enough tires from them that they know me on the phone and know my vehicles when I arrive. I was out the door for over $400 less than the Sears quote. To be fair, that included $100 for trade in on my take offs that were nearly new.

Paying sales tax over TR prices is ok with me because I don't have to pay for rotations or balances for the life of the tire. Small fees add up over time.

At my local store it's always the same people year after year.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Last summer DT beat a Treadepot price, then the lowest price because they were offering free shipping on all tires. I didn't have to write anything down. The manager went to the Treadepot website and confirmed the price. I had the cost of a Wally install, and they beat the price on a set of General HP's. A printout is a good idea though.

Since buying my first set of tires I have purchased tires only from DT. Even if the cost was a tad more than competitors I would still buy there because of excellent service, during and especially after the sale. My last two purchases, Gen HP's and BFG Trac T/A's, they didn't have the tires in stock but had them in store in 2 days.

They generally don't need the printouts, but requested it over the phone when I called because their computers where having issues. That's why the guy couldn't confirm the deal on Discount Tire Direct and cut the TR shipping in half just to make sure I got a fair deal.

I didn't notice that I got the standard $10 tire disposal charge which was entertaining since they purchase my previous tires from me.

While purchasing my T/A's I had a price straight from the Discount Tire Direct website, plus they had a $70 rebate form on their site. The salesman at the DT store was under the false impression that the rebate ended 7/4 (he had an old flyer saying such), but DTD website said 7/6, the day I went in to buy. I guided him to the rebate on the DTD site and he found it.

He shook his head, somewhat in disbelief. I said aren't you guys basically the same company, to which he said, yes. He beat the DTD price and then found the very same DT rebate good till 7/6 that we found online at DTD. Though the rebate was good for Michelin/BFG's it was only available through Discount Tire/Discount Tire Direct.

So, I think they are the same company, just that DTD can sell online to places where there are not any Discount Tire stores.

I remember their shops in Denver. Not long after I moved there I had to replace a punctured tire on my gold Oldsmobile. They matched the brand and size at a good price.

When I picked up a nail in one of the other tires not long after, causing a slow leak, they fixed it (at no charge, I think, but if I'm recalling it wrong, it was definitely a nominal charge).

I wish they'd build one down here.

I must report i had bad recent experience with two discount tires here in austin. in both cases the issue involved upselling.

first they tried to tell my wife all 4 tires needed to be replaced when only two tires (front) were near the minimal level. in fact, the back two tires have a very large amount of tread left. They gave her the usual "in one week those tires will disintegrate, no longer than one week". As an fyi, I would estimate they have another 10k-15k miles left...

the next up sell involved trying to get her to switch from general grabber hts to michelin ltx m/s. as some of you know, the grabber hts is now the highest rated truck tire you can buy (by a number of folks actually, not just consumer reports). they tried to tell her she should not believe anything consumer reports says and that the general tire would wear twice as quick as the michelin tire. in fact, the general tire has a much greater treadlife than the ltx m/s. the truck actually had four ltx m/s tires on it so i know the tire well. it is a good tire, maybe a great one, but it has an old tread design and old compound and other tire manufactures have simply passed it. i believe it generally ranks about 5-8 in truck tire rankings these days.

so my advice: be careful!

in looking at their webpage for tires for my Volvo, they have some bad listings. they show tires in a lower speed rating and load index than the factory 95Y. although their prices on the Michelin PS2 in 235/40/18 95Y is a pretty decent price, 1302.13 out the door. the closest one is about 40 miles away which is lame.

Went to DT today with a female friend who had a leaky RR tire. She usually buys tires at Costco but I wanted her to see how DT does it.

They fixed the flat for free and gave her good quotes on replacement tires. Even on a busy Saturday morning, we were in and out in about 30 minutes. Very impressed with their customer service and professionalism. I told her when she is ready to buy, let DT price match Costco on tires, which she will likely do.

My son bought a set of BFG Rugged Trails to replace OE at DT in the Atlanta area. I advised him not to pay the extra for purchase of certificates for total replacement, as I've never purchased the certificates when buying from DT. Well sure enough, not long after the purchase he ran over a nail that ended up putting a hole on the outside edge/side of the tire where it can't be patched/repaired. He went back to DT, where the manager said he would replace/install a new tire for the cost of the certificates on all four tires, much less than the cost of a new tire. That seemed more than fair to me.

And, they will sell and install tires rated below the OE rated tires if you want. My first DT purchase was a set of Yoko Avid Touring T rated, OE H rated, for a Honda Civic. I admit that at that time I wasn't that aware that that was the case. The Avid's turned out to be a fine tire with excellent treadwear and never noticed the difference in rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back