Discount Tire Introduces Tire Scanner

Discount Tire and Zebra corporation have unveiled a scanner for techs to use that combines tread depth laser measurement and DOT information scanning of the tire.

Sounds interesting. PR release in the following link:

Note editited to add context and website being linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited to show context and unlocked

A title and nothing but a link really isn't a topic. Feel free to describe your thoughts about and reason for posting. Because blindly clicking a link is unwise.

Last edited:
Another of many answers to questions nobody asked. I believe a tread gauge. I can't say I'd always believe a scanner.

Another solution looking for a problem.
Hunter introduced a similar device several years ago, but it is probably much more expensive than the DT solution:

Because it is too hard to read DOT numbers and use a tread depth gauge?
I think it's more about eliminating human error. Such as errors transcribing the numbers of the DOT code.

If it's connected to a way to look up if a tire is subject to a recall, that's a great time saving integration.

I'm here to buy tires, I don't need them scanned.
That's what you think! DT says you're here to be sold tires. 😆

There's a marketing angle for sure. Some analyst has a spreadsheet that estimates payback time for these machines based on telling Scott or Karen this fancy machine says they need new tires for their Crosstour or Sienna. The same bean counter probably also sleeps better at night knowing they can do more with less on the labor side now too.

Always prior DT rotation and balance, tread depth checked manually by counter associate. Seems this device may easily add tire age to that information? I don't see how that can be a bad thing. Just an extra piece of information in tire maintenance and warranty info.

i would think this would interact with their main computer system and then send customers info to it. could probably link a customer and track the tread depth every time they came in. then combined with mileage , they could calculate when the customers will need tires and market to them .

So the little computer is like 2 grand, i can't imagine the scanner being cheap so they are probably into each one of these things for about 4 grand (chargers batteries scanners and so forth)

Gimme an iOS app and accessory for a couple hundred in might be game...

I have a pressure gauge and depth gauge in my glove compartment and keep check of my own tires. About 8K miles ago I went in for my scheduled rotation at DT and they said I needed two new tires. Tread depth was still about 5-6/32nds. I declined and am still running the same tires and expect to get approximately 15K miles from them after they claimed they needed replacement. I guess they think people will believe a computer analysis but, the computer analysis is no better than the person who wrote the program.

Jeez with all this technology available you would think they could come up with a way to stop techs from breaking studs off my car. On my GTO the broke 3 studs, 3 different times at 3 different locations. IMHO these devices are used instead of properly training staff. DT has a very high turn over, they are "inconvenienced" by training. All this does is allow the sales person more time to up sell the customer.

They scanned all tires on the RV last week.. didn't think much of it till now. After they messed up the first time didn't want to go back but had a certificate. The certificate was painless and they did a excellent job. I'm not too worried about depth as I don't drive that much they'd be dry rotted first. I'll look at receipt and see if they put the depths on the ticket.

Like said above, this is entirely a marketing thing. Just like checking the CCA of your battery on every oil change and using the computer to "track trends" and recommend upsells.

This is a way to get more accurate info out of the flat rate techs who are compelled to do "free" 88-point inspections on their own time, and therefore compelled to fib and do a cursory job. Imagine someone eyeballing tread at 8/32" then having the car come back 5000 miles later with a measured 9/32".

This doohickey will almost assuredly detect feathering, alignment problems etc as well in the future.

Back