Disc brake slider pin rubber thingy- dooeys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
On my 2007 Chev Uplander the brake slider pins have those small rubber bushings on the ends and they are getting soft & spongy and hard to reinstall after greasing the pins.
The GM dealer and all the parts places around here want to sell me "kits" for $40-$50 that include those bushings.

I just want new little rubber gizmos, not a bunch of other junk that I don't need. Where can I get just those rubber pieces ??

Thanks.

Papa Bear (Bob)

I think they are available by themselves. I wonder if sometimes even if the old ones are torn if the mechanic does not have the new ones and is in a rush, they do without then the pads "clank" when you hit a bump

A look online at Advance Auto shows brake pin boot kits separately, but we don't know the exact model you have.

I thought he was talking about something else.

some pins have a recessed rubber sleeve on them.

lock pin vs guide pin.

getimage.php

the lock pin is the one with the groove for a rubber sleeve. the guide pin is the same thickness.

The rubber sleeve likes to swell up and not move... esp if you use the wrong grease.

note the actual rubber sleeve I'm talking about is missing from the photo.. having trouble finding a good pic.

those bushings are VERY important. I have an 06 Relay, and one of my little rubber bushings got to loose and sank to the very bottom of the bore and I wore out the brake pads quickly, and at an angle.
Carlson brake hardware does sell them as a caliper pin/bushing kit. Pretty inexpensive, and very very important to have.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Thanks, guys. Yes, that's them !

I found them before Saleen0679 did. I should get the full credit.
cry.gif

I see rock auto has listings for both a caliper bushing and a Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit. Are these different from each other or the same thing just the kit has additional pieces?

This had me confused a month ago and never figured out if they were the same or not or what exactly I gained/lost by ordering one vs the other. I would like to not be confused the next time it comes up.

I usually buy pins and pin boots every time I tear into unknown brakes.

I think the pins were 3 dollars per axle for my application, and the boots were a few bucks also.

Grease it up good.

For the front brakes on my Vibe, I got an AC Delco hardware kit from Amazon for about $12 US. I imagine most parts stores might stock the full kit.

The kit had rubber doohickeys and several metal thingamajigs. The metal parts seemed more flimsy and didn't fit as well as the originals, so I ended up using just the new rubber boots and bushings.

Originally Posted By: Rand

note the actual rubber sleeve I'm talking about is missing from the photo.. having trouble finding a good pic.

IMG_3049_zps5580d25e.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Rand

IMG_3049_zps5580d25e.jpg

It's not that part that I need. I need the small nipple that fits on the end of the slider pin. The tiny little rubber bushing.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Saleen0679
Rockauto

CHEVROLET > 2007 > UPLANDER > 3.9L V6 > Brake/Wheel Hub > Rubber Doohickey

Thanks, guys. Yes, that's them !
I'm in Canada and Rockauto (and most US shipping prices) shipping is expensive.
I'll try to source the Raybestos numbers here.

Oh yes.. On some of my vehicles, only the top (or bottom?) slider pin had the rubber bushing on the pointy end. The other pin had none. I've never had to replace one though.

I've tore a few (stuck) rubber bellows bushings and found the aftermarket ones wouldn't fit right. Had this happen on a Hyundai and Honda. Had to go to the dealer parts counter for them.

Last edited:
My Toyota has those rubber pin bushings on the lower pins. They serve to stabilize the floating section of the caliper. All Permatex brake lubes I have tried caused the bushings to swell so much that it made pin removal very hard. CRC brake lube did the same thing. Toyota's rubber grease is the best product I have found for the pins on my vehicle.. NAPA Sil Glyde also works. I always replace the pin bushings when I service the calipers. Usually every two years.

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
I see rock auto has listings for both a caliper bushing and a Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit. Are these different from each other or the same thing just the kit has additional pieces?

This had me confused a month ago and never figured out if they were the same or not or what exactly I gained/lost by ordering one vs the other. I would like to not be confused the next time it comes up.

They appear to be the same part just listed differently by the manufacturer so maybe Rockauto list the parts differently. You can check the Raybestos site and compare with the Wagner site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back