Disappointed in Philips VisionPlus +50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put one 9003 bulb in my 2003 Mazda MPV and left the other bulb stock for comparison. The other bulb is original and 4 1/2 years old w/83,000 on the clock. While the light is whiter and maybe slightly brighter it really didn't seem to do much for me. I remember years ago getting the silverstars and they made a huge difference in my 95 truck. Are cars coming with better bulbs than they used to? I did a lot of reading here and other places before picking this bulb. Maybe the extremes are much better but I couldn't find those. I also have a set of 9006/9007 for my Suburban but haven't had the time to put them in yet.

How are the lenses and reflectors? These high performance bulbs do not show their potentials, if they are handicapped by cloudy lamps.
I do believe the SilverStars have more of a psychological effect, due to the color.

For several years, I've been running VisionPlus 50% from the U.K. and I'm very happy with them. I get them from autolamps-online. They put out white light, not blue, and I believe they project farther than the N. American VP 50ft bulbs.

For some reason, they're not available here. Something to do with the light output, IIRC. You should be able to find out more info with an on-line search.

-Dennis

BlueSubie
Are you saying that the euro version is +50%, and the US version is +50 ft? Both marketed as VisionPlus?
Some bulbs, 9005,9006, etc, have no euro versions.

Yes. The packaging is even the same, but the Euro version is better. I've been using the Euro version for over 3 years now. I was excited when I saw the 50 ft. version in a local store (it would be cheaper), but remembered that the ones I buy are 50%.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Philips UK says a 10-20 meter longer beam. I still believe it's brighter, so I need still want look for that when I have time. Yeah, I didn't see the 900x bulbs.

-Dennis

Peripheral vision benefits from a more bluish light, but bluish means more glare for oncoming drivers.

If headlights were polarized, drivers could wear sunglasses that would filter out the oncoming headlights, but let through the reflected and scattered light, which has it's polarization randomized. If only those sunglasses weren't too dark to wear at night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back