disappearing oil

After changing my oil end of August, I find I'm already down nearly half a quart after only 300 miles driven over about two months, according to the electronic dipstick. Yes, I haven't been driving it much.

I have a 2006 BMW 525XI with 140,000 miles. I use synthetic 5W-30. I only have Blue Driver and there is no current related code.

Whatever it is, according to my calculations and records, oil consumption on this car appears to be an increasing trend over past 3 or so years,, but never never like this. 300 miles?

Any insights?

-Sparkyjonze

Could always start with the pcv valve and maybe try a flush to help the oil control rings. Do you ever see a smoke puff at startup?

Also 300 miles in 2 months? do you drive it once a week or do you do some very short trips.

If you don't see blue smoke or oil in the coolant I would Ignore it for now. Those early sensors were known to give off weird readings due to moisture or lack of driving. Take it for a 20 mile drive and then measure again.

Also don't fret over amounts under 1 liter.

Could always start with the pcv valve and maybe try a flush to help the oil control rings. Do you ever see a smoke puff at startup?

Also 300 miles in 2 months? do you drive it once a week or do you do some very short trips.
PCV valve?!?

OP, not exactly familiar with that car, which engine is it? Is it the same as an E90 N52 with the aluminium valve cover? If so, the external oil separator often fails and greatly increases oil consumption. The oil separator on the newer years is built into the valve cover and is significantly more reliable.

PCV valve?!?

OP, not exactly familiar with that car, which engine is it? Is it the same as an E90 N52 with the aluminium valve cover? If so, the external oil separator often fails and greatly increases oil consumption. The oil separator on the newer years is built into the valve cover and is significantly more reliable.
yes i do know that newer vehicles have that and the trend began in the early 2000's. But that's weird because i was sure that year and model has a pcv valve since i remember a recall about the pcv heater and the site says his year and model has a pcv valve and heater. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/bmw-recalls-2006-cars-for-pcv-valve-fire-risk/

yes i do know that newer vehicles have that and the trend began in the early 2000's. But that's weird because i was sure that year and model has a pcv valve since i remember a recall about the pcv heater and the site says his year and model has a pcv valve and heater. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/bmw-recalls-2006-cars-for-pcv-valve-fire-risk/
It has more to do with being a BMW than being a "newer vehicle." My 1994 530i had what he's describing.

I need to watch a youtube video on the electronic dipstick .... I wonder how accurate they are over a long period of time.
Especially considering the OP’s previous thread:

Especially considering the OP’s previous thread:

All of this is after I replaced that part. But thanks.

Yes, smoke at startup that then wanes. It is on the light side in color, not as white as I've seen come out of cars. But not dark at all. I'm not at all familiar with engine flush.

We got a third car (roadster) so I was tooling around in that mostly to close out summer. That's why the lack of miles.

First, be sure we are talking about smoke and not condensation from the tailpipe. This is an important distinction. Also if you're doing mostly short trips, this is very hard on the engine and the oil. Consider taking it on a weekly drive for at least 1/2 hour, even once every 2 weeks would be helpful... I bet your oil consumption drops dramatically (quantity consumed / distance driven).

I was under the impression that BMW calls for thicker oil, often 0W-40.
l have heard of someone's oil use problem solved by going 0W-16.

My 2¢

Back