Disadvantages to using ScanGaugeII ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any disadvantages to using the ScanGauge II? For example, since it provides real-time data of coolant temperature, fuel economy, etc., will its continuous "talking" to your car's onboard computer cause the car's computer to operate hotter than it would operate without the Scan Gauge II continually asking it for real-time data?

Any info available to show whether your car's onboard computer is more likely to break and need service with its friend, the Scan Gauge 2, always "talking" to it?

Also, with the new XGauge / Add-A-Gauge feature, additional info can be displayed like transmission temperature, but *only* if the car already has a sensor to monitor it. How can I find out if the '06 Camry was built with a transmission temp monitor?

Are there any other possilbe disadvantages to using the ScanGauge II with your car?

Last edited:
No, they are designed to be able to data log, etc. You should see what the manufacturer OBD tools can do. You will notice the SGII is not really real time. There are settings for how fast it will update. I know if I set fast update on my car the SGII will randomly just shutoff after 2-3 weeks.
I don't know if its a problem with the SGII though, either. Mine has a problem where it logs that I have burned over 500 gallons of gas in one tank. Im sure it shows over 10000 gallons by now. I know I have a gas burner, but come on!
Interestingly the actual MPG readout is pretty close. Im sure its just a firmware update or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Far as I know, the ScangaugeII simply reads the data already produced by the OBDII, and doesn't work the computer any harder than it's already doing.

I've had one for years, with no uncommon effects.

My wife's Regal has a factory readout that provides some of the same data - the Scangauge just gives you more options.

As far as finding out whether or not the Camry has a tranny monitor in the OBDII, the dealer may be able to tell you, or you could hook up the SG and see if you get a readout.

grin2.gif

I have had 2 of them for quite a while now. The first one I bought 2-3 years ago. The newer one has the XGauge feature and I really like it. I actually have the newer one in my wagon and none of the extra gauges work but I really appreciate the fact that you can make a gauge out of the Trip Data and display it as a gauge. That way I'm not constantly flipping between my gauge screen and the trip screen. I have not yet tried the XGauge feature on my Grand Prix yet but it might come in handy to see Trans Temp and my OLM remaining since it only has a dummy light for the OLM. I'm not sure how to tell if it will work without trying it. I'll probably try the newer on in the Grand Prix someday and then upgrade if the other features work.

Originally Posted By: asamek
Far as I know, the ScangaugeII simply reads the data already produced by the OBDII, and doesn't work the computer any harder than it's already doing.

Not 100% true. It does have to request the data. Since there is not really any addressing on the car data bus, it then picks up the first data packet it sees on the wire, assuming this is the response. This is why occasionally you will see funky symbols for a readout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a relative who was an electrical engineer for Motorola in the days when they built chips for ODB computers. he said... no problem.

Onmo' - I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the clarification - but I haven't seen any strange readouts in the years I've used it.

Originally, I got it because the temp gauge on my 2000 Savana decided to quit functioning and I had no tachometer and I wanted those readouts for when I was towing my travel trailer.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Since there is not really any addressing on the car data bus, it then picks up the first data packet it sees on the wire, assuming this is the response. This is why occasionally you will see funky symbols for a readout.

There is addressing on the data bus...there are both physical and functional addresses, in fact.

What you're referring to is the behavior of the Scangauge where you are entering a command to be sent--and the Scangauge doesn't know what to look for in the response so it just displays the first one it gets.

What companies are the main competitors to ScanGauge II? $170 is a lot of cabbage to spend just to see what your coolant temperature is. I think that's the only info I'm interested in. I doubt the '06 Camry has a motor oil temperature sensor or a transmission oil temperature sensor.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Since there is not really any addressing on the car data bus, it then picks up the first data packet it sees on the wire, assuming this is the response. This is why occasionally you will see funky symbols for a readout.

There is addressing on the data bus...there are both physical and functional addresses, in fact.

What you're referring to is the behavior of the Scangauge where you are entering a command to be sent--and the Scangauge doesn't know what to look for in the response so it just displays the first one it gets.

Yes, your right, I had it mixed up.

Depends on the car. On my 02 Camry, it caused the PCM to reset itself once a week or so. It changed all the on board monitor to go Not Ready, and returned idle to default.

My guess is my PCM cannot handle the traffic and some data buffer over flows and boom, reset.

I have had the original ScanGauge (pre II version) that was $129.
I have used it for years without a problem.
Advantage over dash gauges, it is looking at what the PCM is seeing.
Some vehicles use a sensor for the dash gauge and another sensor for the PCM for some values.
Also, you can take it from vehicle to vehicle, and use it to read codes for friends vehicles.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
I have had the original ScanGauge (pre II version) that was $129.
I have used it for years without a problem.
Advantage over dash gauges, it is looking at what the PCM is seeing.
Some vehicles use a sensor for the dash gauge and another sensor for the PCM for some values.

On my VW the Sacangauge II shares sensors with the speedometer and temperature gauge.

The VW speedometer takes that data and lies. It reads 4-5 mph fast at 70 mph. The Scan gauge is right on.

The VW temp gauge reads dead center from about 180F to 300F by scan gauge. On one of the vW forums a member posted the VW look-up table that makes the temperature gauge lie so it always looks like the temp is dead center once the engine is warmed up.

Scangauges cause as many accidents as cellphones.

Sorry officer, I didn't see that red light or stop sign. Was watching my scangauge!

The ScanGauge 2 web site claims "The Digital Gauges give you realtime data for your vehicle."

Another trip computer is the Auterra DashDyno SPD found at auterraweb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650

The VW temp gauge reads dead center from about 180F to 300F by scan gauge.

300F!!! :) (Assuming you meant 200). It's essentially the same on my Honda. The dash temp gauge reads center starting at about 170-175 degF. Normal operating temperature is around 185 degF, and I've seen up to 210 degF or so after a hill climb and then stop and go in town on a hot day but I don't think the dash gauge moved at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back