Disabling Injectors on Startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I tried it and it works...on startup, floor the gas pedal. Doing this, the engine turns over. Let up on the pedal though, and she fires right up.

Does anyone here see any benefits to this in terms of having a fluid film on startup and thus less noise and wear?

So you are saying that flooring the pedal causes the ecu to supply no fuel to the engine?? I really don't think there would be much of a benefit bc the # of revolutions from the starter is so low. Also the cost of some starters can be over 300 bucks. Is it worth a couple of extra starters to have an engine is slightly better condition at 200K miles. Really don't know
dunno.gif

I suspect Subaru does this to a certain extent. Most modern engines start almost instantly, whereas Subarus (I have experience w/ way too many) take just a bit longer than any other make I've seen. I've suspected this is to build a bit of oil pressure before pouring on the power.
They're all we've ever had in the family since '89 and we havent replaced a starter yet.

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
I suspect Subaru does this to a certain extent. Most modern engines start almost instantly, whereas Subarus (I have experience w/ way too many) take just a bit longer than any other make I've seen. I've suspected this is to build a bit of oil pressure before pouring on the power.
They're all we've ever had in the family since '89 and we havent replaced a starter yet.

I've noticed that Hondas take longer to fire up too, both my sister's 99 Civic and wife's 2000 Civic are like this. Most GM cars tend to fire up the instant you turn the key and another thing I don't like is how they instantly rev up to 1500 rpm after that. That's one thing I like about using my block heater in my 95 Firebird, is that when I start the engine in the morning, the rpms only jump up to about 1100rpm or so, since the coolant is semi warm.

Patman, Hondas start up instantly. What you probably have is in order of probability.

1. Slightly off spec fuel pressure regulator that cannot hold pressure
2. Fuel pump check valve not holding pressure
3. Leaky injectors.
4. You Engine Coolant temp Sensor is beginning to go off spec.

If the engine is say 10 years old or more, check your injector o-rings for seepage of fuel.

Older Cherokees do this for sure. I dunno if the newer (97-01) Jeep Cherokees do this. Its exactly what the Subaru does... to pump oil to the engine before the power comes on. Grand Cherokees do not do this. I think its due to consumer preference. When they are test driving cars, they think the car that starts up immediatly is probably more reliable than the one that has a 2 second delay. It's a mentality thing.

I know GM cars are set up to do this, but I don't know about any others. try it at your own risk. it will not reduce wear, it is designed to help start a flooded car.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
Patman, Hondas start up instantly. What you probably have is in order of probability.

1. Slightly off spec fuel pressure regulator that cannot hold pressure
2. Fuel pump check valve not holding pressure
3. Leaky injectors.
4. You Engine Coolant temp Sensor is beginning to go off spec.

If the engine is say 10 years old or more, check your injector o-rings for seepage of fuel.

It is a 2000 model with 76,000km on it, although the gas mileage is pretty bad so I wouldn't be surprised if it's got leaky injectors. It's always taken a tiny bit longer to start ever since new. It starts on the first crank 99% of the time, just that you usually need to crank it for 2 seconds before it fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back