"Directv" experience that has me concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an interaction with a directv contractor today, but I have concerns about his intent/who he really is.

While I was messing around on the computer, there was a ring at the doorbell. A guy introduced himself as "Zach" with Directv. He stated that he needed to check the signal strength of my dish. First of all, I don't have Directv or any cable service for that matter. I told him this, but he mentioned there was a dish on the side yard. This is true; however I have no idea how old it is or who placed it there. He asks who my provider is, etc. Then he leaves. He walked over to his vehicle on the adjacent street, which was a beat up white Geo Metro with pink flames. This seemed a bit odd to me. I couldn't make out his plate as it was too far away.

I have my doubts that he's a contractor for directv. His T-shirt said DSP-Digital Service Providers, which I can't find a company locally named DSP. The shirt also had a Dish logo on the sleeve. I called directv and they said the practice of asking to randomly check your signal strength is not common. In addition; the woman I spoke to couldn't find this company. I was a bit discouraged to hear her say "I don't see anything on google here". I would think they might have a list of companies that contract with them?!

So...are my doubts founded? Am I worrying too much? I'm concerned that this guy was trying to scope out my house. I plan to contact Dish as well, but so far have found nothing.

Phony as a $3 bill & looking to case your house. Call the police ASAP, give the best description you can of him & the vehicle(
crazy2.gif
Metro w/flames yet!) and get this on the record. Don't wait. No foolin'. The car is funny, but he could turn out to be big trouble, even dangerous.

He is with a third party that sells Dish Network, and was going to try and flip you to Dish for the commission.

Oh I see you have a problem with your signal, I can give you a new dish and receivers for free - just sign this 2 year contract.

The next step would be to contact your local PD, speak to a desk Sgt and discuss your concern with them.
The individual and his car (Geo metro with pink flames)
crackmeup2.gif
, shouldn't be to hard for them to find and then investigate.

Hope it works out...

I'd trust the info from dishdude; I can't put a finger on why he might know the facts....

I'd mention it to the PD; the perp might target someone less suspicious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
He is with a third party that sells Dish Network, and was going to try and flip you to Dish for the commission.

Oh I see you have a problem with your signal, I can give you a new dish and receivers for free - just sign this 2 year contract.

I agree.

Your digital satellite receiver knows its signal strength. I would not be surprised that if it were marginal it would report this to home base and they'd call the account holder to check if all was well. Or just wait for the subscriber to get peeved.

This guy was creepers.

There are however big commissions for changing between cable, directv, and dish. I used to work for "Pegasus satellite" and when we went bankrupt DirecTV paid about $600 a head for our former customers.

Hey, maybe he'll come back and try to sell you a vacuum. Then you'll know he's legit.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that tactic. Not surprising though. I may report it just as a precaution.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that tactic. Not surprising though. I may report it just as a precaution.

Provide Dish cooperate with this feedback also, just call their 800 customer service number. I do not know the Dish network's ethical standards and practices I assume this will be a nice training opportunity for someone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike

I put myself through college installing Dish and DirecTV. The commissions paid to the retailers for bringing in new subscribers are very lucrative, and it is common for retailers to target existing satellite customers and flip them to the other provider.

This can work out in the customer's favor with some of the offers extended to new customers, but this method is just sleazy.

Really doubt he is "casing" houses. I mean how does this play out: I'm going to eventually break into one of these houses so lets show my face to as many people as possible and make sure they get a good look at what I'm wearing and what I drive before I commit a crime all the while telling me very little about what to expect when I enter said home.

People watch too much t.v., or maybe just too much sheeple news.
Fundamental attribution error anyone.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Report to the police. He is casing houses.

My guess.

You didn't mention is whether or not his car was just out of the field of view of your house? If he didn't park in your driveway or directly in front of your home something is fishy.

Next time he knocks, take him out the front and ask him "D'ya wanna dance ?"

Those cable ads had my family in stitches.

I understand being cautious. I wouldn't let him into my house. But I have to say the paranoia on this site is ridiculous. Why is everything a crime in the making? As a few reasonable people said, I assumed he was trying to sell another satellite package.

Casing houses? Perhaps. Reminds me of Harry of the Wet Bandits in a Home Alone I.

Though I jest, can't be too safe, so best to be careful. Though it's after the fact now, I'd still call the desk Sgt or police chief even if it's a small town, and bring it up from another angle. I'd want to know what the town regulations are for solicitation and door to door sales. I'd want to know what the identification and permitting looks like if there is an allowance. If there's not and they don't offer after you mention that this person did come by, then I'd specifically ask to file a complaint.

Knowing how solicitors are allowed to operate is important regardless of where you live. I've been in rural areas where folks have come down the driveway to solicit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back